Venison heart recipe, anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by tango1niner, Dec 1, 2012.

1. tango1niner

tango1niner New Member

I'm looking for a recipe that doesn't mask the flavor of the meat.

got any??

thanks
    Anthony
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

My mother used to pickle them sometimes, brine, sliced onions, carrots, whatever you like, then pressure cook, slice, eat hot, slice cooled leftover for sammiches,
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Slice and dice, soak overnight in salt water, toss in the crock pot with your venison roast.

Alternative prepare as above, saute till soft and add to scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes.

By the time you cut away all the vents and tubes you can't eat it's already in pretty small pieces.

Other wise just saute them, dip the pieces in milk then dip it in flour, salt and pepper and pan fry them.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I always eat the heart the day of or the day after the kill; by far the best meat of the whole animal.

I slice it crossways to the chambers to make rings/circles about 1/2" thick or so, roll them in a bit of flour and pan fry in butter.

Doesn't get much better than that! so not really a recipe, but that's what I do with it.

Done veal hearts before in the oven with stuffing of one sort or another, but fresh deer heart is king IMO.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

My dad used to simmer them in salt water for hours then slice em thin, marinade in a bowl with Onions, Vinegar, Cucumbers and maybe even some hard boiled eggs for a day or two.
    That was my dad, he was a lousy shot. I don't have hearts left to eat. :D
  6. bobg`12

bobg`12 New Member

That's my recipe too aa1911. Had them pickeled and about every other way you can think of but still like them just fried the best.
  7. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

This is how I have always cooked it.