1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

venison liver and heart WHAT

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by DanH, Dec 5, 2009.

1. DanH

DanH New Member

do you use to soak them in to draw out the blood?

Thanks
    Dan
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Dill pickle brine will work.:p
  3. DanH

DanH New Member

Thanks Bobitis, I'll try that next time. I did some web searches and most said soak in salt water, that's what I did. The brine does sound good along with drawing out the blood.

Dan
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

We never soaked the heart. We would usually have it for dinner that night. We soaked the liver in the creek for a few hours to several days, as that was the best way to keep them cold. (This was before they invented ice chests.) We ate the liver as soon as we came back from our hunting trip (what was left after breakfasts in camp. :D)

Pops
  5. obxned

obxned New Member

Never soaked them. Heart, liver, and kidneys are very good eating. The liver becomes liver and onions, I often stuff and bake the heart covered with tomatoes, and the kidneys plus some meat become steak and kidney pie!
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

We always cut the heart in figure 8s and fried them in oil after dredging them in egg and seasoned flour.

Pops