1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Venison & Sauerkraut over Noodle

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Roadkil, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

This has become one of my favorite venison dishes; especially during cold winter months, like now. As listed below this is how they call for the dish to be made. I make it slightly different and will list those differences after.

Venison & Sauerkraut over Noodle

2 TBS vegetable oil
    1 ½ lbs. venison stew meat well trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 can (16oz.) Bavarian style sauerkraut
    2 cups water
    1 onion sliced
    1 pkg (1.75 oz.) beefy mushroom soup mix
    2 TBS. packed brown sugar
    2 TBS Red Wine vinegar
    1 tsp. soy sauce
    ½ tsp. ground ginger

Hot buttered noodles(cooked separately and according to package instructions)

Heat oven to 350, meanwhile in a 6-quart ovenproof Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat on stove top. Add venison cubes. Cook for 3-5 minuets or just until meat is browned, stirring frequently. Add remaining ingredients, except noodles. Mix well. Cover.

Bake for 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve over noodles. Garnish with snipped fresh parsley, if desired.

Below is how I make it.

1 ½ lbs. venison stew meat well trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 can (16oz.) Bavarian style sauerkraut
    2 cups water
    1 TBS. cornstarch.
    1 onion sliced
    1 large pkg. of sliced mushrooms or 2 small pkgs. of sliced mushrooms
    2 TBS. packed brown sugar
    2 TBS Red Wine vinegar
    1 tsp. soy sauce
    ½ tsp. ground ginger

Hot buttered noodles(cooked separately and according to package instructions)

Place Bavarian style sauerkraut, sliced onion, mushrooms, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, soy sauce and ginger in crock pot.

Mix 1TBS cornstarch in the 2 cups of water to make a slurry. Pour slurry mixture over ingredients and stir well.

Add stew meat, cover crock pot with lid and cook on low 6-7 hours. Serve over noodles. Garnish with snipped fresh parsley, if desired.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

slurry? sounds good i don't have venison will try with steak
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

This is very close to the Recipe that my grandfather in Ohio used, The only diffrence with his is instead of Soy he uses worchester sauce, Small clove of Garlic, or garlic powder along with the Onion and a few other odds and ends.

You managed to get my mouth waterin so I am gonna have to give this recipe a try though. I know what we are havin fer supper today. Thanks Roadkill for the recipe .