Verizon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Anyone got Verizon Wireless? What phones you got? Time for the new phone, can't decide between several choices... considering primarily the...

Samsung Sway
    Nokia 2605
    Casio GZOne
    Samsung Glyde
    LG Dare

The Sway looks awesome but it's cheap at $80, which doesn't instill confidence (I get $100 towards upgrade). The Nokia is awesome because its tiny but a pretty crappy phone overall- granted it makes calls which is all that matters in the end (crappy camera etc.). The GZOne is sweet, its the ruggedized one that is waterproof, and I sort of figure if I go flip it makes sense to go for the indestructible one. But then I lose the size-advantage of the Nokia in which case I might as well go for the full size touch-screen crap.

The Glyde is probably my first choice but reviews aren't great. The LG Dare has better reviews but my experience with LG has been mixed, and more importantly the screen lock on it is worthless (I have issues with my phones dialing random people in my pocket, I need a GOOD screen lock- which the Glyde has).

Any experience with any of these? Any guidance?
  2. I just picked up an LG Shine a couple weeks ago, Vlad, and frankly, I like it better than any cell I've had. It's intuitive to use and simple to operate, unlike the one I had last time. On the other hand, I don't care about having extraneous whistles and bells on my phone.
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I do a huge amount of research if I have to choose one, usually on www.phonescoop.com because it's kind of funny to read reviews there. I like my service and have never had problems with my LG Chocolate flip phone (but too bad I can't take TFF everywhere I go!)
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have an LG, camera, flip phone, and I like it. I get mine free, was $180 phone. The wife and I both get free phones every two years. What plan do you have? Ours is in the business name, as a business phone, and we purchase the largest number of min. we can get.
  5. durk

durk New Member

I also use phonescoop for my phone research. After having the iPhone I don't think I will have anything but a better iPhone after this one. TFF goes with me everywhere.:) Heck, I was posting from my treestand during hunting season. Could be why I got no deer.:D
  6. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I've found that when reading reviews, you have to know what you personally are looking for. Sometimes a product will have a huge number of negative reviews because the people who want to complain are more likely to actually go to the effort of posting a comment than the people who are satisfied.

Also, some of the reviews are negative because the people posting the review didn't do any research before purchasing (they just thought it looked like a cool phone, or their friend had it) and it doesn't do everything they thought it would.

I've even seen a review that said "I got this phone and everything about it was great. Then I dropped it and stepped on it and now it doesn't work! I wouldn't recommend this phone to anyone!" Because you're a klutz?

You have to know what you're looking for and glean the useful info from the reviews.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have talked with a friend who works in a Verizon store. He tells me that the LG Dare is the phone to get. My new every 2 comes around in June and if nothing happens before then, I will go with the Dare.

My present phone is a Samsung SCH-u740 and if they were still available I would probably go with an updated version of it.
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Vlad, I think you'll love Verizon's coverage. We spent two weeks driving around Washington State last August on vacation with our 5 Verizon phones & we had great coverage in most areas. We drove out to Forks & then went to the San Juan Islands & I don't remember losing coverage. We drove thru your Spokane area & spent time in Seattle all with good coverage. Here in Utah I had been with AT&T since they offered cell phones. They told me that I needed to switch to their GSM plan & I did only to find that it only included the very few GSM cell towers that they owned-no coverage from older towers owned by others that they had agreements with. We then had no coverage in the mountains at all & that was important to us with our mountain cabin. They wouldn't let me switch back to their old coverage so we went with Verizon & have found it to have the best "Mountain" coverage here of any provider.
    I started with the Crazer phone & I still have it. I like it because it's simple like me & seems to be tough. My wife & daughters have gone thru countless hundreds in cell phones by buying the fanciest ones for texting & the internet. One daughter has been thru three phones in a year. They just sell off the old phones on e-bay.
  9. oldogy

oldogy New Member

I switched from T to Verizon only due to better coverage in the areas I frequent. Hated to do that because I own T stock and had been a customer since the "brick". Choose your phone for the features you want, need. I am hard of hearing and carry the LG VX8300 which has an excellent display and speakers. Wife carries an LG 5400 which is not quite the phone but still decent, IMHO. Both work for us.
    oldogy
  10. azsigman

azsigman New Member

I carry an LG5400 which suits my "no technical knowledge" existence just fine. My wife, however, is a different story. She got "Juke" phone first but, shortly thereafter, wanted to have an easier texting capability. So, we added a line ( with Verizon) and she got an LG EnV2 with unlimited texting. Now..shes a texting wizard and loves it...
    I do not have a clue...I can barely take a picture with my 5400 !! :eek:
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

My wife and I have had 6 Samsungs with 0 problems over the past 8 years. Her most recent phone is an LG Shine (because it was pretty :rolleyes:) She's had no problems with that phone either, and it takes Micro-sD memory for storing photos and music. I think that's an excellent feature.
  12. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

I'll opt for a string and two tin cans. Nothin' works here. Last time my landline went out, I called Verizon on my cell and the gal asked me to check for some noise or such on the line. I told her to send out their little "hear me now" guy since I had to drive over 10 miles to get cell service to call and tell them my landline was out! :eek:

Last time I went in to get a new cell phone, I told the guy I just wanted it to ring when someone calls, to be able to call other folks when I need to, and not have a gps in the phone for anyone to keep track of my movements. He told me they don't make those antiques anymore. :D

I don’t like texting cause it’s just like email and I’m starting to dislike email. Friends/clients say, “I sent you an email and you didn’t answer.” I tell them, “guess you should have picked up the phone and called then.” ;)

I’ve even gone back to celluloid for photographs after looking at photos of the family and ranch taken back in the late 1800’s and early 19’s since they’re still crisp and sharp. (Sorry, off topic, just technology related :eek: )

Sorry for taken the long way around the barn there Vlad. ;) There are some pretty fancy gadgets out there, but I see too many folks having to answer emails walkin' around the grocery store and such. When my boy was packin' folks into the backcountry, the first thing the flat-landers would do when they got up to 12,000ft was to open their cell phones to see if they had service. :rolleyes:

Guess I still like the slower, simpler days of actually putting pen to paper.;)
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Thanks for all the replies. From what I see/hear/read the Dare is really the phone to get, but I just hate the screen lock! The GZone has terrible reviews but there is rumor that a new model came out that is world's better. Other than that most the other phones have been nixed due to battery life or such. They didn't have the Shine, I looked it up and it looks like a nice phone. I may have to ask them about it. But I am warry about buying a phone I can't play with in the store.

I hate this, so much pressure. Your stuck with what you get for 2 years!!! lol (like my phone now gets about 1 minute talk time, no exaggeration. Granted I am sure a new battery would fix it but still...)
  14. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Didn't have anything with your daughters being into the Twilight series, did it? :rolleyes:
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Pony, I have a Samsung Propel which has a micro SD port and I've done a little shopping around, but I was just curious how easy it is to use, I see that there is a micro SD adapter... Does this adapter make it the same size as a common SD card?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks. :)

Crpdeth