Vertical Primer Tube Systems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Bioman, May 11, 2009.

1. Bioman

Bioman New Member

I was into relaoading around 15 years ago or so and I am just getting back into it.

I am reading the Lee Modern Reloading Manual - 2nd Edition for the first time. Is it me, or does it kinda read like Lee manufacturing is the only company in the world that is innovative when it comes to reloading? :)

As I read the manual I became a bit concerned about the comments Lee makes regarding the safety of vertical primer tubes as used by many other manufacturers.:(

So my question is, for you owners of such systems, what has you’re experience been as regards mishaps?

Also I find some of the posturing in the Lee manual interesting as I was previously using a Lee 1000 progressive which seemed to be quite finicky to keep in tune.:rolleyes:
  2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have a RCBS rock chucker press and so I do not use the vertical feed for the primers. I do it by using one of the hand units. They work much better and are faster. I also get a much better feel for the primers being pressed in.
  3. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I have had a few jams in my vertical primer tube for my Dillon 550b. Nothing that caused any mishaps but it has put me out of commission for a few minutes to clear the jam (just detach and dump out) then reinsert the primers and so forth.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I've had more problems with the Lee Progressive Priming systems Many Many times more than my Dillon SDB with vertical priming. Forget to flick the primer tray with your finger and the flipping, missing and general priming mishaps are not far behind.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have all but given up on the Lyman vertical priming system that came with my press. After deburring, polishing, adjusting spring tensions, lubricating, and alot of cursing its back in the attic, probably headed for a certain online auction websight one day. I absolutely love my RCBS hand primer it works 100% of the time no questions, and I never new what the "feel" of a properly seated primer was until I used it.