Very Disappointed! :(

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gun runner, Dec 29, 2011.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Well I finally got to try my new Savage .223 Model 25 yesterday at the farm and I went and worked the action to put a cartridge in the chamber and so yeah it did it fine but then after the bolt wouldnt pull back like if it was stuck and then I had to beat it back with my hand then got another shell in the chamber. BOOM! okay it shot then I went and wanted to pull the bolt back again so it wouldnt pull back so I had to beat it down with my hand then wanted to chamber another cartridge in but this time it wouldnt chamber itself. Its like I have had very bad luck with gun purchases this year. I had a Marlin XT22M I bought in August 2011 that had to get replaced which took forever to do then now its the Savage. What is wrong with these gun manufacturers? *shaking my damn head*:mad:

By the way what do you guys think is wrong with the Savage I bought on the 8th of December this year? Any ideas? Thanks

John

Oh yes I took it back to the gun shop which really was Bass Pro Shops. They said they are going to send it back either for repair or replacement but I just hate having to wait for it.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I'm just curious what ammunition you are using? Reloads or manufacured ammo?
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

mfg. Tulammo
  4. K75RT

K75RT Member

Tula ammo is steel cased ammo steel does not have the same characteristics as good quality brass ammo' try some brass ammo an your problems should go away...
  5. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yup, you really should have tried some quality, brass cased ammo before giving up on the rifle. There's a very good chance the ammo was at fault.
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Well I already sent it back but I really didnt want to buy more expensive ammo. I just cant see the ammo would be the problem. I oiled the gun and it still wouldnt work. Well hopefully its not the ammunition.

Thanks for the help :)
  7. rcairflr

I'm sure "you can't see the ammo being the problem", but my guess is that the ammo is the problem. I did a quick Google search and found more than one person haveing problems with Tula ammo in their .223. Personally, there is no way I would shoot Tula ammo in my .223 and if you choose to shoot the cheapest ammo you can find in your new rifle, expect to have the cheapest results.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'd rather it was the ammunition than the rifle. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for .223 ammo. You can get Federal or S&B .223 ammo for around $6.00 a box. Not as cheap as Tul, but not bad.
  9. rcairflr

Here's some things I found on other forums:

Going back to my friend he has a Smith & Wesson M&P15OR and he has never had a problem with Silver Bear or any other ammo until the Tula steel cased ammo and it wasnt his bolt not wanting to unlock like mine, it was the case getting stuck in the chamber and let me tell you it was stuck good, we had to beat the hell out of a cleaning rod to get it out.

Went to shoot my new (to me) Rem 700/.223 Varmit today. After my sixth round was fired, I tried to open to bolt and eject the cartridge, and it wouldn't budge. The bolt rotates, but will not budge. Also, the safety lever won't move from the "Fire" position.
    Any ideas from the Calguns Brain Trust will be greatly appreciated. I'm using Tulammo

Bolt actions tend to have tighter tolerances... so steel cased stuff is a gamble. I ran 1000 rounds of Tula through my AR I had three cases get stuck in the chamber... no biggy on a plinker AR.. but in my precision 700... heck no.

I know that this has been beat to death but why stop now. At the range to day I fired 30 rounds of Federal XM193 55 grain without a problem. Then fired 30 rounds of Tula .223 in 55 grain without a problem. I couple younger boys were eyeballing my rifle so I asked if they wanted to shoot it. After 10 more rounds of the Tula I had a stuck case. I mean STUCK I took the upper off got the bolt out and used a range rod and after several fairly sharp taps was able to get the case out.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

99% sure its the ammo. 1% change the headspacing was too tight. That ammo is total crap. I had a AK come in 2 days ago with the bolt stuck shut. The shooter never cleaned it, the piston rusted in the gas block. Tula ammo is all he ever shot in it. Its garbage and has no QC
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I guess I should call Bass Pro and tell them not to go forward with it (sending it off) but maybe I should get the final results from Savage once they test fire it?
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

all i know is that its BS. I thought the beautiful rifle was going to shoot as good as it looks. Can you explain why the rounds wouldnt get chambered?
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have another question Gun Runner. I read that you oiled the rifle before firing but did you clean it first ??
  15. BillM

BillM Active Member

Another vote for TULA=CRAP. The stuff is at least consistent--all that
    I have tried is junk.

I have a "truck gun" AR. Eats anything. Winchester, Federal, American
    Eagle, Black Hills. And EVERYTHING will shoot under 2" at 100 yds.

Except Tula. IF it chambers--and the bolt won't go closed on about
    20% or it---it MIGHT put 5 shots on a 9" paper plate at 100.