1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Very first range report

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bertgamble2001, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bertgamble2001

Bertgamble2001 New Member

I picked up my new XD45 and shot 220 rounds with it today.

I shot 3 different brands of ammo just to make sure they all cycled through, and they all did. No problems what so ever, except that I'm not a very good shot yet.

I would attach pictures if I could figure out how, but can't seem to do it. Now all you can do is imaginge how bad I shot. I have a lot of work to do, but getting good will be a lot of fun.

On the first target, I shot 50 Winchester rounds from 7 yards and all but 6 were inside the
    (9) ring of the human shape. The other 6 were in the (8).

The next target was 50 rounds of Remington from 7 yards and all but 2 were within the (9) area. This was pretty good accuracy for me.

Then I switched to 20 rounds with Winchester Supreme Elite from 7 yards. This was the best accuracy with 11 inside the red area and the rest inside the (9) zone. If I were rich, I would shoot these, but sinceI'm not, they will be only for home protection.

When i move out to 10 yards, the accuracy drops significantly.

I also shot a .22 Ruger Mark ll. It's too bad I don't shoot the 45 as well as this.

With the .22 I practiced hitting center mass X2, then a headshot from 20 yards. I made the hit every time with 150 tries. I guess it's the recoil that messes me up with the 45.

Will post more later, after I get better.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey Bert, that XD is a fine pistol and that is pretty good shooting for first time with a new gun. You will get even better with more range time. Like you I shoot the cheapest stuff I can find for practice and save the good stuff for defense. Thanks for sharing your time with the new gun.

Todd
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

All in good range time. When I first got my 1st pistol, P89, it was a whole differnt ball game as I was used to .22 cal pistols/revolvers.
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Sounds like you're well on your way, Bert - well done!
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I like my XD - getting used to the trigger on each new gun will eventually help you at keeping it accurate. Enjoy and be safe.