Very first range report

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bertgamble2001, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bertgamble2001

Bertgamble2001 New Member

I picked up my new XD45 and shot 220 rounds with it today.

I shot 3 different brands of ammo just to make sure they all cycled through, and they all did. No problems what so ever, except that I'm not a very good shot yet.

I would attach pictures if I could figure out how, but can't seem to do it. Now all you can do is imaginge how bad I shot. I have a lot of work to do, but getting good will be a lot of fun.

On the first target, I shot 50 Winchester rounds from 7 yards and all but 6 were inside the
    (9) ring of the human shape. The other 6 were in the (8).

The next target was 50 rounds of Remington from 7 yards and all but 2 were within the (9) area. This was pretty good accuracy for me.

Then I switched to 20 rounds with Winchester Supreme Elite from 7 yards. This was the best accuracy with 11 inside the red area and the rest inside the (9) zone. If I were rich, I would shoot these, but sinceI'm not, they will be only for home protection.

When i move out to 10 yards, the accuracy drops significantly.

I also shot a .22 Ruger Mark ll. It's too bad I don't shoot the 45 as well as this.

With the .22 I practiced hitting center mass X2, then a headshot from 20 yards. I made the hit every time with 150 tries. I guess it's the recoil that messes me up with the 45.

Will post more later, after I get better.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hey Bert, that XD is a fine pistol and that is pretty good shooting for first time with a new gun. You will get even better with more range time. Like you I shoot the cheapest stuff I can find for practice and save the good stuff for defense. Thanks for sharing your time with the new gun.

Todd
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

All in good range time. When I first got my 1st pistol, P89, it was a whole differnt ball game as I was used to .22 cal pistols/revolvers.
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Sounds like you're well on your way, Bert - well done!
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I like my XD - getting used to the trigger on each new gun will eventually help you at keeping it accurate. Enjoy and be safe.