Very Old Astra S/N "2672"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Danik, May 6, 2006.

1. Danik

Danik New Member

What is the value of my Astra? It is marked Astra CAL 7.63 Automatic Pistol and the serial number on the receiver is only four digit: "2672". The barrel/receiver have several crests of what appear to be an animal standing on its hind legs with fire coming out of it's mouth. On the right side of the receiver there is a "crown" mark above a "shield" with an X in center of the shield. The mark "PV" is on the left side of the shield and a mark which perhaps is "CK" on the right side of the shield. The bottom of the barrel is marked "KFS ATC GA". The very back of the action just above the point where the hammer strikes is marked 950 with several other small emblems one appears to be a "U" and the other two appear to be crowns. On the underneath side of this end piece there is another mark. I am not able to distinguish if it is a caligraphy D, a crown or a bomb. The pistol is in very good condition and I also have the wood shoulder stock and a large "tooled" leather holster for the stock and pistol. The only number on the wood stock is a number "5". The action is strong and works very smoothly. All items are in very good condition. Original Blue is about 70%, Wood stock is perfect, Walnut pistol grips have minor dings, Surface metal has very minor "freckling" in spots, Most of the marks are crisp and readable. The bore is very clean but smooth ... no riflings. The leather case is lightly tooled on both sides with an artistic design that looks like it was done from a template being pressed against the leather. There are no cut marks from the tooling it is simply an artistic pattern that has been impressed into the leather on both sides.

Can you point me in the right direction to obtain some historical information on this Astra? Also, what is the estimated value?

Thanks,

Attached Files:

• 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      93.9 KB
      Views:
    • 14.JPG
      14.JPG
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 6, 2006
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Danik.....welcome to TFF. :)

You have a very interesting pistol there. It's an Astra Model 900.....which is a Spanish copy of the German Mauser C96 "Broomhandle".

They were made from 1928 until 1936, and the caliber is 7.63 Mauser.

Here's a site with more info on your pistol:

http://www.gunsworld.com/spain/astra900_us.html

According to the Blue Book, it's value is:

80% - $900
    70% - $700
    60% - $500

Add $650 for non-matching shoulder stock.
    Add $900 for matching shoulder stock.

Also, the holster is worth extra.....but I don't know how much.
  3. Danik

Danik New Member

Thank you for your prompt and professional assistance in iodentifying and placing a value on this pistol set! I am not a gun collector, however, I have been intrigued with what appears to be a very fine quality associated with the design and manufacture of this pistol. I will use the information you supplied as I attempt to find a collector for the purchase of this rifle/pistol set.

Bests regards,

Dan
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Danik, your intrigue is well founded, as regards quality; the Astra is an excellent quality pistol, though usually undervaled, due to it's Spanish provenance. In the early to mid 1900's, there was a shitload of junk coming out of the Eibar region of Spain, both long and hand guns, some amounting to nothing but a grenade, with a handle!
    Your Astra is certainly well above that class of weapon, and, in many minds, on a par with the Mauser pistol it is copied from! It is scarcer than the Mauser, and interesting for that fact, alone; Don't give it away!
    The prices you were given just might be a bit conservative, depending on condition, of course.
    Welcome to the wierd world of the Firearms Forum, and please come back!
    Terry
  5. Danik

Danik New Member

Thank you for the additional information!!!!