VERY potent snake loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Sean Colgan
    (1/7/03 9:43:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All VERY potent snake loads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a deathly fear of snakes. Since I also have a Ruger "Vaquero in 45LC, I figure that I can work some snake loads to make my outdoor experience much more calming. I've seen the loads that can be bought OTC, but I wanted a bit more. Also, I actually enjoy handloading.
    Has anyone here ever tried handloading such a load themselves? Can anyone tell me where I could buy suitable components for this? Has anyone tried using anything other than no.9 shot for this? IE: no. 2 shot for instance?
    Thanks in advance.

Sean

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/7/03 1:15:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: VERY potent snake loads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the board, Mr. Colgan -

No, I haven't tried making any mini-shot shells for my 45LC.

You should be able to buy the cups and a bag of shot at any good reloading supply store. If not, try Natchez or Midway.

Can't find any data in my reloading manuals specifically for shot loads. Would suggest weighing the wad, shot cup and shot loading all together on a scale, then find corresponding loadings in the manuals for that weight and begin powder loads at the recommended STARTING loads. Use standard primers for all loads.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Dustiny
    (1/7/03 2:40:51 pm)
    If you find the caps please post a link, I can't seem to find them anywhere.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/7/03 7:04:20 pm)
    www.natchezss.com

Page 155 of their main 2002 catalog:

Order # SP8780 .38/357 (50)..........$5.21

Order # SP8782 .44 Caliber (50)......$6.50

Order # SP8785 .45 Colt (50)..........$3.59

These shot capsules come with a snap-on wad (plug) and load like a coventional bullet. You determine what shot you want and buy separately.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 1/7/03 10:59:20 pm

Sean Colgan
    (1/13/03 1:16:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del VERY potent snake loads
    Thank you, kdub. I am happy to be here. I will check out the link for Natchezz & see what they have.
    Your idea of weighing the components, etc. is a real good one. Thank you again.
    Stay tuned. As I experiment, I will pass on what I learn.

Sean

Jeff7mm
    (1/19/03 4:01:47 pm)
    I was around and reloading prior to the plastic shot capsules. We used a gas check over the powder and an inverted gas check over the shot. Like you I figured I needed bigger shot and experimented with various sizes. Dont bother with anything bigger than #7 1/2 there simply are not enough of them in the limited case size. I now buy the things loaded or make a few because I only need 1-2 a year. Most go to friends.

The other mistake is too much powder which blows the pattern out to a degree that the round is ineffective. About 1000 fps usually gives the best patterns. Remember that you will be shooting at 10 feet or less and dont need much velocity because the shot aint traveling far. Big shot traveling fast that dont connect with the snake are useless.

Get a paper picnic plate which is about the size of a coiled rattler and set it up at the range you are comfortable shooting from. Check the patterns you are getting. You can draw a snake on it, or just made a 1" circle to simulate the head. How many shot hit the plate and how many hit the head.

Get a potatoe or two and use the loads on them at the same range to simulate the damage the shot is doing. I think you will find massive damage with the #7 1/2 to #9 shot sizes and a lot less with larger shot because of the multiple hits in the smaller sizes. All will completely penetrate a potatoe or a snake. A snake is rarely more than 1-1.5 inches through the thick part. I dont want to see any bigger ones.

I usually run into sidewinders which average about 18-24 inches. I always shoot twice although im sure one would do it. They give a squirm flop over and dont move again. Usually the round knocks them up in the air 3-4 inches from the impact. HAVE FUN !

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 3:11:31 am)
    Sounds like a job for a BP revolver.
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--