Very Rare Mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by schmalts, Mar 5, 2007.

1. schmalts

schmalts New Member

O.K. what do you guys think of this one? Through the research i have done this is a rare rifle. For one, it is a factory sporter because it has the factory proof stamp in the stock. Second very few mauser guys i have contacted see this kind of TLC put into a gun like this with things such as the Greener style safety on the left side of the stock, and the front wedge. Even more rare is the fact it wasnt made by Danzig, but instead the Amberg Factory In Bavaria. The scope i have i think is not the original because it doesnt fit very well in the fron mount.
    So, what should I expect for a price on this gun?
    http://www.picturepuppy.com/gallery.php?u=schmalts&g=Amberg-GEW98-Factory-sporter
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I assume the caliber is the original 8mm Mauser, so correct me if I'm wrong. Other calibers may make it more desireable. A rifle like this is a tough call to fix a value to. It's really whether you can find a buyer willing to pay a decent price for it. None of the books even take a crack at pricing customized guns. Just relying on my experience buying and selling at gun shows for over fifty years, I would take a wild guess at around $800, allowing for as much as $200 up or down.
  3. schmalts

schmalts New Member

I think it will be much more than that. Simpson gets more than that for run of the mill sporters. I have yet to talk to anyone who has seen one from Amberg with a safety like this. Anyone here ever see one?
  4. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Won't go for $800 in this neck of the woods. There are no collectors here for that type of modified military rifle. Sounds like you should contact Simpson directly as they appear to have an interest.
  5. schmalts

schmalts New Member

Modified Military rifle?? I dont think so. This is an original sporter from everything i can tell.
  6. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Perhaps you should take apart a GEW98 which is stock military and compare the parts to your rifle and a commercial 1910 Mauser sporter. Your rifle was produced from left over military parts with a few add on sport parts.

If it were a 1903 Springfield it cut the price of the rifle in half for being sporterized. You have a very nice sporterized military rifle.

Ambergs are somewhat less common than other Mausers; they are not however "rare". C-96 carbines are rare.