very short mauser ID.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by fleetwood1976, Dec 1, 2012.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I picked this up a few years ago solely because I had never come across one and it was shorter than my k98 mauser. It has no inporter marks. It is well worn and i have took pix of the visible markings, no crest. the but plate is ruffled between the screws. no stock cartouches that I can see. I am not sure where you start measureing a barrel, but if it is at the back of the chamber, it is about 17 inches. I was wondering if any big time mauser guys could give my some input on the rifle. I have a general collection of foreign military of all countries and don't specialize in one certain area.

Attached Files:

2. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Your short barreled .30-06 large ring FN Mauser looks like it is a police contract unit dating from the late 40's. FN sold these rifles in quantity in various calibers to police departments all around the world.
  3. fleetwood1976

see, i would have assumed it was 8x57, someone else may have too because the rifling is gone. almose smoothe bore.
  4. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

The rifle was produced in quantity by FN circa 1947 in 7X57, .30-06, 7.65 and 8X57. Some were later converted to .308. The original specified factory barrel length was 17 1/2 inches The rifles were sold in seeming 5,000 unit contract quantities to police departments in Mexico, Columbia, Uruguay, Holland and others. I have only seen three repatriated rifles over the years and those were in the .30-06 chambering. Yours could possibly be in any of the other calibers. Cast the chamber if in doubt. I once owned a mixed pieces parts .30-06 version that shot quite well, but it was also a pretty decent shoulder thumper as you might expect.
  5. fleetwood1976

This one is also a parts gun. no matching serial numbers etc. Rough shape, no rifling in the barrel. I can think of a lot of guns I would rather shoot. I just like the history of the old bolt action military stuff. where one guy sees a $100 mosin nagant, I see a trail of history that shows how many countries and wars that rifle has been through. I appreciate your help, I just don't see as many of these on the market as k98's and others. thought I might of had a rarity. but with most military stuff, rarities are rare, considering they usually made stuff to outfit millions of troups.