Veterans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by catfish83861, Nov 11, 2007.

1. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Well Hello to all our Veterans out there tonight. I thought I would post this article as I felt it was absolutely correct in each and evry aspect. Many have bumper stickers that say this or that, the really true ones are those that simply say, "If you Love your freedom, Thank a vet." Just an old vets thoughts on what I consider a fine article. Hope you enjoy. catfish

The Stupid TaxVeterans
    J. D. Pendry

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” Isaiah 6:8 (NIV)

Forgive me troops. I know this is supposed to be a somber time of remembrance, but I have some things I need to get off my chest. I’m tired of Veterans being a political badminton birdie for politicians. When times are difficult for the Men and Women of Arms, the political parties spend their time blaming one another for not doing enough to meet the needs of Veterans and those now serving. When the difficult times pass, our Veterans, Soldiers and their needs cease being political hot buttons. My favorite quote sums that up quite well:

Our God and Soldiers we alike adore,
    Ev’n at the brink of danger, not before,
    After deliverance, both alike requited,
    Our God’s forgotten,
    And our Soldiers slighted. – Frances Quarles 1632

The other thing that grates on me is how Veterans are treated in the media. Too often, it is as victims or as homeless derelicts. Whenever someone with Veteran status is involved in a crime, the first thing highlighted by the media is their Veteran status. That’s how we are viewed by a hopelessly liberal media, which means that’s how we are portrayed to the majority of the American population. It’s an American population that has little contact with its serving Armed Forces or Veterans so it only knows what is reported to it. Can you recall the last time you heard a positive media story about Veterans or serving Soldiers? Sad, isn’t it.

As I write this, the estimated United States population is 303,328,167. Around 2 million of that population serves in all branches of the Armed Forces. Sort of adds a new perspective to the “never have so few” axiom, doesn’t it? Of that population, 23,425,051 have veteran status. The population that is 18 years of age or older is 224,648,294. Ten percent of the military aged population has veteran status; ten out of a hundred if that puts it in better perspective for you. Here are some interesting numbers to consider. 64.4 percent of the Veteran population is over 55 years of age. 27.2 percent are in the 35 to 54 year old range. Only 8.4 percent of our Veterans are in the 18 to 34 year old range. 60.7 percent of our Veterans are from the Vietnam Era, Korean War and World War II. It is easy to see the downward trend isn’t it?

The news this week reported to us that fully 25 percent of our Nation’s homeless population is Veterans. I’m not sure how they determined that. Do you reckon they asked the guy pushing his grocery cart under the bridge to produce a DD Form 214? Study the linked Census report and you’ll see that Veterans have better high school graduation rates, higher per capita income, lower unemployment rates, and fewer who reside below the poverty level than their non Veteran counterparts. That information paints a positive picture of Veterans so a biased, liberal media will never report it. Only in the new media can we counterbalance such an unfair portrait painted of Men and Women of such high character.

Please take time this weekend to educate someone about Veterans and their contributions to our Nation. Dedicate a reading of Psalm 91 for the Men and Women who are serving for us around the world so that we can live freely. Offer a moment of meditation for those who rest In Flanders Fields or at Fiddlers’ Green.

Most of all, if you are a Veteran or are now serving, Stand Tall on your day. Thank you for what you’ve done and are doing for my family and me.

Copyright © J. D. Pendry 2007 All Rights Reserved
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Right On! Thanks Veterans!
  3. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Excellent post, Catfish. Thankx