1. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

I should probably know this from high school civics class, but that was fifty some odd years ago, so I'll ask the question. Who, exactly, vets a candidate for the Presidency of the United States? This question came up early in Obbie's tenure in the White House, and if memory serves me some news person actually asked the FBI. Their response was, in essence, that since O'b had already been elected to the Senate, and was already serving, essentially no one vetted him for his presidential bid. I found that a bit ridiculous, but then I'm just a retired country gunsmith, what do I know? Well, to be honest, I want to know. Let's suppose Mr. Whomever is a currently serving Senator or Congressman; does that mean he's got a free pass for a run at the highest office in the land without a formal vetting procedure by law enforcement, intel, credit rating agencies and the like? On the other hand, if Mr. Whomever is simply a successful businessman with enough intelligence and common sense to run the country, who then vets him for his run? Just wondering.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

No formal vetting required. It's traditionally been the role of commercial media to vet candidates for all political positions, but in recent years the commercial media has started to become more "commentary" and less reporting. And as much as Rush, Hannity, etc. complain about that, their success was the catalyst for the rest of the industry to follow suit.
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

There are two political parties. They don't like each other. The vetting process has become extremely harsh in recent years with stories being invented at times.
  4. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

No formal vetting required. Well, I reckon that explains some of the turkeys we've ended up with on both the local and national levels. As to harsh stories (lies to us little people) being invented by rival political parties; to paraphrase Claude Rains in Casablanca, I'm shocked, SHOCKED! And if you believe that, I've got this bridge for sale, complete with toll rights...it's in Brooklyn.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you are eligible, running for president of the United States is different from actually winning the presidency. Every four years, scores of candidates file papers with the Federal Elections Commission, raise money and campaign during presidential primary campaigns. However, those candidates who build a national following have the chance to win the primary and general election campaigns. A real slim chance if you didn't raise enough money to satisfy your party constituents, or be in with them.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Speaking of stories, why have those lazy Democrats not asked to see Mitt's birth records? How do we KNOW if Romney was born in the USA? He might have been born in Canada. After all, his parents were not born in the USA and his birth city (Detroit) is on the Canadian border!
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Precedence has now been set by the Demoncats! You no longer have to be a "Natural Born" citizen of the U.S. to be it's leader!