"Victory at Sea" Documentary

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by obxned, Feb 19, 2008.

1. obxned

obxned New Member

One of my favorite WWII documentaries is selling at Wally World for $5. That's $5 for the entire 3-disk set of all the episodes of Victory at Sea!!
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

That's a great price. I have the whole series on Video Tape, but DVD would be better !!!!
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I've got the dvd's that they sold on tv last year. I love the series.
  4. I will definitely take a look and see if our local Wally World has that set. I saw all of them when I was a kid, and a few since then.
  5. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

The NBC Orchestra Rocks!!! I'm not much into classical music, but the NBC Orchestra added a lot to these Documentaries. The music set the mood.

There is also a book on the series. I read it several years ago. It went into a lot of depth about subjects that were less studied. For instance it compared the "tooth to tale" ratio for U.S. forces in the Pacific versus those Europe. It was as expected much higher in the Pacific due to the much greater distances, and lack of support facilities in the area.
  6. notabiker

notabiker New Member

i got the history channel a long time ago becouse they were showing victory at sea. well i got it and they never ran it agine. i bought the video serise. when i was growing up it was one of my fav shows:)
  7. It's certainly true the orchestra did a fine job, 17th, but even more credit is due the brilliant score by Richard Rogers.
  8. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

"Victory At Sea" is, and remains a classic example of what TV can do......And Richard Roger's score makes the scense come alive....... >MW
  9. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Thanks for the info...heading out to get that ASAP...great series
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Victory At Sea was television at it's very finest, and I consider Richard Rogers' score as some of the finest classical music ever written!!!!!

The "Theme Of The Fast Carriers", the stirring "Guadalcanal Victory March", and the hauntingly beautiful "Beneath The Southern Cross" (later, with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein, to be known as "No Other Love Have I")......superb!