"Video of Unidentified U.S. Soldier Berating Iraqi Police Is a YouTube Hit"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prizefighter, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

I'm not sure what to make of this. But, the video pretty inspirational I think. But I definitely hope they never track down this soldier, because the media will crucify him.

---

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518143,00.html

Is the U.S. soldier starring in this popular Youtube video a tough, Patton-esque, tell-'em-like-it-is inspirational leader … or is he an unprofessional jerk?

That’s the question FOXNews.com set out to answer when we asked the U.S. Army to help identify and locate the soldier for an interview. But the Army was less than forthcoming, so we’re looking for help finding him.

Here’s what we do know: The video was shot at least six to eight months ago, according to Maj. Hunter Holliday of the Multinational Force Iraq Media Operations Center. It features a U.S. soldier who begins what seems like a routine training speech for a squad of Iraqi troops. But the volume, pace and sharpness of the soldier’s voice escalates considerably in what becomes a more-than-five-minute lecture -- or tirade, depending on one’s point of view -- on his many issues with the Iraqis’ non-performance.

"You know why I'm p----- off?" he shouts at one point. "I come down here with my soldiers to try to train you, and you're trying to f------ kill Americans, you're trying to kill your fellow f------ Iraqis, 'cuz you got no f------ backbone."

The Army may be reluctant to identify the soldier because it doesn’t like what it saw in the video -- which has already picked up more than half a million views on Youtube.

"The Soldier's behavior is inconsistent with our Army values and does not represent the position of Coalition Forces," Holliday wrote in an e-mail to FOXNews.com. Holliday added "appropriate action" could be taken against the soldier following an investigation.

But some former military personnel defended what they saw.

"That's the way drill sergeants drill recruits," said retired Maj. Gen. Paul Vallely, a FOX News senior military analyst who said he understood the soldier’s frustration. "They're tough, and they do use profanity to varying degrees.”

Help us identify the soldier, and get the story straight from him. Email talktofox@foxnews.com and we’ll report back when we get the full story.
  2. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

I saw this yesterday. I hope they never find him. I've talked to many of the local guardsmen that have been over there, and most of them expressed the same sentiment, just not as eloquently.

Dale
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Whats the deal? He sounds like my old C.C.
  4. XShooter

XShooter New Member

He is 100% right in "telling it like it is," but the way he went about it makes it obvious that he's not very skilled at motivating people at all. I would give his performance a "3" at best. My Drill Instructor makes this guy look like a complete novice.

As far as the Army finding him, I am sure they already have. It's not hard.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

If I were one of the Iraqi soldiers/cops I'd have given him the finger. He's a worthless instructor/boss. I for one have never listened to anyone berating me like that. There has been more than one time when I have told my bosses/instructors to F-off or else I'm leaving. I certainly never accomplished anything with that attitude towards me. It's gonna be no wonder when the Iraqis fail.
  6. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Well I can get behind what he's saying. It may not be the best approach, but I'm not going to pass judgement because I have no idea what the days and months leading up to that particular speech have been like. He may very well have been speaking eloquently, doing everything "right," and it wasn't making any difference. So finally he's telling them the score, and someone happens to be recording it.

In any case, I don't think he's out and out wrong for it.

Oh, it's not that I hope the army doesn't locate him, because I'm sure they know exactly who he is too. I just hope the media doesn't find him.
  7. XShooter

XShooter New Member

Yeah. If CNN finds him, he'll be accused of torturing the Iraq police - emotionally of course.
  8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    In a civilian setting I would mostly agree, however this military training where a kiwi enema (i.e. a preverbal boot up the butt) can be a very effective motivator. Lives will eventually be on the line and discipline is a must. If done properly, an "enthusiastic" chewing out is not quickly forgotten and can add a useful stressor to training. At times it's the best way to get through to a thick head.

I've been on the receiving end of similar "tirades" during training and at other times. Sometimes deserved, sometimes not; but it always got my attention. I've also made my displeasure known in similar fashion a few times, but only after a complete disregard for clear and repeated instructions or for serious violations of safety rules.

+1
  9. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

ive seen this before and as a matter of fact have it saved in my "favorites". i think he should be telling it like it is. that way for the few that are there to actually maybe do some good will be able to realize...hey, there may be some of the ppl i work with that will be doing wrong and i need to keep my eye on them too...

i give him two thumbs up and say put him in for promotion
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Can't view unless I sign up?
    WTF????
  11. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Maybe because it has profanity in it, and you have to register to confirm your birthday? I'm not sure. Either way, it's either a glitch or a gimmick.
  12. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    The media will find him, and I guess they will crucify him. He may not be the most Diplomatic person in the world, but he was speaking from the heart, the heart of a soldier, a soldier who gets shot at day after day. After all, no Diplomat is going to stand in an Iraq street and do it for him. If they don't like his method, let them get out from behind their desk, and do the talking.