Viet Nam Veteran Bumper Sticker

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by whymememe, Jun 8, 2012.

1. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Were they subject to the stop loss program?
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

MSGT-R would you mind disclosing your military job title?
  3. red14

red14 Active Member

Back in the 80s my company started a program for Viet Nam era vets for promotions.
    I signed up, I needed a raise. I was informed I was not a vet. It still hurts, and was
    sure embarassing back them, I was accused of lying by my company. All I have is a
    hearing loss in my left ear to show for my tour of duty (7 24 69 - 7 25 75).
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Yeah, a lot of them were stop loss, me too.

I am a retired Marine Reservist, Master Sergeant, Helicopter Maintenance Chief with 27 years of service. I'm awaiting age 60 so I can start collecting my retirement.

My husband is already collecting his since he's older than me, and all his benefits have kicked in, including any VA eligibility. We have Tri-Care that trumps VA care for now.
  5. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

thanks for replying and THANKS FOR SERVING.
  6. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

You're welcome. ;)
  7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Could that just be a warning to the liberal peaceniks to just stay out of it, not bring up the war or the US involvement there or anywhere else? Are they saying "Don't start any arguments. Don't call me bad for serving my country in the armed forces. If you don't I won't call you a chicken livered coward who is disloyal to his country."?

I'm sure they get tired of idiots attacking them because they served our country in the armed forces and fought to protect the privelage of free speech in the US.
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Re: Viet Nam Veteran Bumper Sticker/Coasties

The one service that always seem to be left out of this type of conversation is the US Coast Guard.
    The Coasties have been participants in every armed conflict that the US has been involved in since their creation. Got a couple of young men here in town tha5t are Coasties vets and I'm proud to know them both. Their dad is my computer guru. :cool::patriotic::patriotic:

You are exactly right Blackeagle.
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

The Coasties are in this fight, but their pay doesn't come from the Dept of Defense. I'm not really sure how their VA would work. My best guess is that when deployed in a combat zone (like they have been doing), they are subject to a completely different set of rules.
  10. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I don't believe that is the case. He is looking for an argument, otherwise he would not have those kind of stickers on his car. He just perpetuates the falacy that Viet Nam vets are maniacs. It makes all veterans of the era look bad.

They were fighting for South Viet Nam at that time we had already won the Revolutionary War in 1776, which is when we wrote the constitution.
  11. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Sorry, BlackEagle, I didn't see you were from the UK until I had Posted. The Revolutionary War in 1776 was not an intentional foul. Again, please accept my humble apologies. Were you in the Queen's service? Officer,Enlisted? What was your military job? Did you enlist or were you conscripted?
  12. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

We can give an honorable mention to the Merchant Marines while we are at it. I don't think they were originally given V.A. benefits but later recieved them. I'm not sure about this. Anybody know for sure?
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I've similar bumper adornments on my old pickup down AZ. For me it was an invitation to leave me the hell alone and I did not care to hear any liberals feelings about the VNM Conflict. If you haven't been in combat you have no idea what it does to someone and everyone handles it different.

I did 3 tours in-country and don't regret it, I volunteered to go so some married guy might not have to go. But when I got home my reception was somewhat less than cordial. eSPECIALLY IN sAN fRANCISCO. My folks picked me up at the El Paso airport and we drove back to Calsbad. El Paso was not bad because it is a big military town. Home of Ft Bliss and an airfield, I forget the name.

All the guys I went to school that had not ended up in the military would constantly ask what my body count was and crap like that. I finally quit telling people I had been in Vietnam and just told them I had been working out of town.

So ya see Whymememe, there are reasons far beyond your comprehension for that person to have that bumper sticker and it is also his right as free speech.

People don't have agree with it but you wouldn't want take away his rights just because you don't agree with what he is saying would you?

Hurry Sundown
  14. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

berto64, you might have been the one that took my place. I didn't go and I know I would probably be on the wall now, if I had went. From the training and other combat vets that I served with, I have an idea what it was like. The body count was the way they measured the success of the war. Thats the way the media portrayed it and it was real.
    Of course, I do not know how it effected you personally. I experienced being away from states for 17 months. When I got back home I got the same treatment you did. To the civilians, anybody in uniform was a Viet Nam Vet, even when I told them I didn't go to Viet Nam they acted like I was lying. I was once called a baby killer because some guy saw my disabled vet car tag. I have a regular car tag today because of the stigma. I always respected the guys with the CIB's and I had enough respect for them not to ask them alot of questions about it. I did have one of them call me a non-combatant MF and it hurt. I quess it was an ego thing. Or resentment because I didn't go. Then being a draftee and grunt. I was at the bottom of the pecking order. I know I sound like a cry baby, there was absolutly nothing I could do but follow orders. I would have done anything they ordered me to do.
    You don't have to answer, but what was your MOS. I didn't think this much until I retired. But there was always anger and rage that would surface sometime. It might sound crazy, but it's like all of you guys were my brothers and I was angry that so many were lost. I didn't realize the magnitude untill a few years ago.

Anyway thanks for serving and thanks for taking the time to help me sort the out.

No, I would not want take away any thing from him. He's already lost too much and he's earned the right to do what he wants. It seems like he's isolating himself and I'm beginning to feel like I want to be isolated too.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  15. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I found it very difficult to work with civilians and many times I could not suppress my feelings towards them. Thus, I would go off on them, would never physically harm them. I guess the management viewed me as a serious threat for workplace violence because of my military background. So I kept getting fired and would move on to a new set of co-workers. The proccess would repeat itself over and over and over.