The Firearms Forum banner

Viet Nam Veteran Bumper Sticker

13K views 54 replies 25 participants last post by  Freebore 
#1 · (Edited)
The other day as I was driving to the store I got behind a car with a VIET NAM VETERAN BUMPER STICKER on one side and on the other side there was one that said, IF YOU WEREN'T THERE KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

I was drafted in 1971, and trained in infantry mortars. The training was Viet Nam oriented. I was in mortar training at little Viet Nam AKA Tigerland, Ft Polk, Lousiana. I had orders for Viet Nam and spent two weeks on leave thinking I was going to Viet Nam. At the transfer point, they asked us if we volunteered to go to Viet Nam. The war was winding down and they were only sending volunteers. I told them I had not volunteered, frankly I didn't feel I was trained well enough to survive in Viet Nam. Why would I volunteer to go to Viet Nam when I had not volunteered for the Army and I wasn't given my choice of training. The war had caused social unrest and there were many protesting the war. Their were reports of war crimes and fraggings.

I feel like I have been effected by the war. I had to sacrifice my way of life. My military pay was less than half of my previous civilian pay.

My question is why would a guy have these bumper stickers on his car and who would they be directed at. I know it was one big cluster#$%^. for the grunts over there. I don't know about the other branches.

Would this guy maybe have some unresolved issues? How many guys feel like him?

See less See more
#52 ·
#53 ·
I read it differently I guess. My take is that the owner of the sticker is tired of hearing lectures from people about 'everything in RVN" and yet they have no basis to argue from. No body cares if you were in country or not, but you cannot speak as a personal critic of things you have no knowledge of. Of course you can have an opinion about the generalities of war, the suffering of the world or whatever in all honesty but you cannot talk about combat and it's related issues if you never suffered through it. And yes I do believe that Vets are Vets no matter where you served.

#54 ·
Dick, that's a good, strong, affirmative view.. Your are fairly new amongst us 'Old Guys'...stick around...visit often... I guess I've become like the welcoming committee hereon...been here since day 1 and that was when NSNBC lit off this site on the 25th anniversary of the troops leaving Vietnam. Welcome Aboard...Chief

#55 ·
Fact...the American Legion recognizes anyone who served in the military (and received an Honorable Discharge) between 1960 and 1975 to be considered a Vietnam Era Veteran, this title was also supported by Congress in 1984. You were not required to be stationed in Vietnam or any foreign country. Taking an oath at the time of military induction gave you the privilege of serving your country regardless of what your duty was, or where you served.

I support and salute any veteran (regardless of branch or rank) who took an oath to defend the constitution and by doing so, made himself available for the ultimate sacrifice whether he was called upon or not.

Whether you served in the Mekong Delta, or New York City, you did what you were asked to do and earned the right to be called a veteran.

By the way…another unknown fact is that for every ten combat soldiers in Vietnam, only one saw actually combat, the other nine were support troops (many which never even heard a shot fired).

If you fit the above requirements, wear this hat with pride

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.