Viet Nam Veteran Bumper Sticker

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by whymememe, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I'm betting he was talking to all the ersatz veterans who were neither in service or in combat but now claim they were. Funny how in the last 40 years there are now more vets claiming service in Nam then there were in uniform or in country yet those of us who were have been dying off regularly thanks to age, accidents and old exposures to chemicals and wounds take their toll.
  2. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

That is a very old sticker.
    There are patches like it.

Don't try to rationalise it if you were not part of it.

A lot is tomgue in cheek, a lot is aime4d at folks who run their mouths about things they don't know about.

During the whole was it was possible to be in VN with about 6 months service or less.

Sufficient or not.

No matter ones opinion or thinking, having "walked the walk" changes a person in ways some who hasn't will never appreciate.

Some guys have different ways of expressing this.

I don't have any like the one mentioned, but I have SF and Airborne decals on my rides.
    I went thru long hard extra duty to earn them and I choose to show them.

I am not part of the boo-hoo poor me-I got spit on bunch. I am proud of my service and many of us are.

In the 80s there was a big period of VN related activities, including state memorials and reunions. Kokomo Indiana still has one every fall with around 25-to 30 thousand vets in attendance.

Vendors had a hayday making and selling all kinds of stickers, badges, and pins.

Some were serious and silly like VC Hunting club-others just funny like the **** burners patch.

So I guess if you were not there, don't judge us that were.
    We don't care what you think.
  3. Tom T

Tom T Member

Us Army 69/70. I came home with no scars on the out side but the inside something else. To all our Brothers and Sisters who were there and other hell holes and to the so called non combats it's enough (for me)to be alive and in the country we serve. Tom T
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. You've found a great place to be. We have great discussions, and lots of good laughs. You'll find people here have a genuine concern for each other. Pull up a chair and keyboard and join in.

Thanks for your service, TomT. The unseen scars can be the worst. You have my respect. :patriotic:
  5. Tom T

Tom T Member

Thanks for the support. TomT
  6. kostnerave

kostnerave Member

Thanks that my thoughts too. If you are a real veteran be proud. There seems to be a lot of folk who wished they where combat veterans now that the war is over.
  7. Model195Fan

Model195Fan Member

USN 1963-88. I went where I was told and have no need to apologize for it, but I never confused myself with someone who had feet on the ground in a war zone. I don't really know what that was like for them. If they want to tell me, they will; if they don't, they're entitled to that choice.
  8. Ralph@47

Ralph@47 New Member

Just thought I would post something about Reservists. I joined the Reserves in early 1968, 4 days later my entire unit was activated. I spent 2 months with them going to Ft Lee Va. then I was sent to Basic Training at Ft Leonard wood. I didn't worry too much about where my next stop would be since I was a Reservist and going back to Ft Lee to be a Truck Driver. WRONG!! I was sent to A.I.T at Ft Leonard Wood to be a Combat Engr. My wife wrote our Congressman, Dole asking to correct the matter. Got a nice letter back saying I was in the Army now, and now would receive all the rights and priviledges of a Draftee. Went to Vietnam in 68-69. Did mine sweep on QL1 north of Hai Van Pass to the Bowling Alley every day as well as a few other things I'd rather not describe. Got out after 19 months active duty and never attended a meeting after ETSing Vietnam. Anyway my Service number never changed from E.R. I have been receiving disability benefits and full use of the VA for years. Never mattered that I was ER only that I served in Country. Never received any grief for being an E.R. But I was really a US for my "rights and priviledges" Ha Ha! What a sense of humor Congressman Dole had.
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  9. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Greetings Ralph...seems we were knocking around in country somwhat the same times and locations...thank you for your service...I was up the way from Hai Van at Dong Ha and later on another deployment south at DaNang...
    When there were rumblings about my going back for a 3rd tour, so I bailed and retired...If it was Robert Dole you were speaking of, he 'busted balls' in WWII...his wife was later to come onto the political scene....I noted Ralph that you were a recent arrival here on the Memories...please tell us some stories...again Trooper, thank you for your service.Chief
  10. flboots

flboots Member

I enlisted in the Navy in 72, That makes me a Viet Nam era vet. If you were in the military you are a vet.
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Young lady, I admire your spunk... :patriotic:

Just got permission to be a licensed USMC merchant...
    Most, but not all of these items are by me.
    http://www.zazzle.com/usmarines/gifts

Be honored if you took a look. ;)
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's an impressive collection. Lots to choose from.
    Thanks for the link.
  13. Dickn52

Dickn52 New Member

I read it differently I guess. My take is that the owner of the sticker is tired of hearing lectures from people about 'everything in RVN" and yet they have no basis to argue from. No body cares if you were in country or not, but you cannot speak as a personal critic of things you have no knowledge of. Of course you can have an opinion about the generalities of war, the suffering of the world or whatever in all honesty but you cannot talk about combat and it's related issues if you never suffered through it. And yes I do believe that Vets are Vets no matter where you served.
  14. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Dick, that's a good, strong, affirmative view.. Your are fairly new amongst us 'Old Guys'...stick around...visit often... I guess I've become like the welcoming committee hereon...been here since day 1 and that was when NSNBC lit off this site on the 25th anniversary of the troops leaving Vietnam. Welcome Aboard...Chief
  15. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Fact...the American Legion recognizes anyone who served in the military (and received an Honorable Discharge) between 1960 and 1975 to be considered a Vietnam Era Veteran, this title was also supported by Congress in 1984. You were not required to be stationed in Vietnam or any foreign country. Taking an oath at the time of military induction gave you the privilege of serving your country regardless of what your duty was, or where you served.

I support and salute any veteran (regardless of branch or rank) who took an oath to defend the constitution and by doing so, made himself available for the ultimate sacrifice whether he was called upon or not.

Whether you served in the Mekong Delta, or New York City, you did what you were asked to do and earned the right to be called a veteran.

By the way…another unknown fact is that for every ten combat soldiers in Vietnam, only one saw actually combat, the other nine were support troops (many which never even heard a shot fired).

If you fit the above requirements, wear this hat with pride

Attached Files: