Viet Nam Veteran Bumper Sticker

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by whymememe, Jun 8, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Capt ozo USMC-demolition 69yrs old-2tours-yet upon return- the 'word'
    vietnam still wasn't used on TV news.
    It was a strange time at best, and a head trip for years at the least.
    I have seen many use the viet vet label for personal gain, and of course
    the same label to do good and positive things.
    I learned my opinion on any/all of the era had no value, and if for some
    reason I failed to remember, I was sure to be reminded.
    Simply put, it was only a time in life. You were a part of it, linked to it,
    or you were not.
    I have known as many good people that were vets as I have known bad.
    To me, to hash out anything with a 'label' like viet vet, Desert Storm, etc.
    and try to put relevance on it that would convey any self-importance, just like the bumper stickers at task, is to dissolve unity among us and dissipate the truth that should be bonding us together.
    Mere truth is........we are drowning in a massive sea of government, and is affecting us all,greater than most of us realize.
    I ramble surely, but my intent is only to convey that the more we focus on mediocre events that surround us daily, the more we lose focus.
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Oh......Master SGT retired......
    I love your choice for the avatar......
    it resonates in my world like only a few here understand.
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No apologies necessary.:)

The Revolutionary War in 1776 was precipitated by taxation with out representation. I keep that in mind when the EU starts making more bids to tax UK subjects.

:) I was born in the UK, of US citizen parents, so I can claim dual nationality. (Unlike 0 I will not run for president. I will be honest and agree that I am a US citizen but was not born on US soil. From what I understand, 0's citizenship is in doubt.)

I grew up in the US. Senior in High School 1971, then University. While there I enrolled in the Air Force ROTC program for two years.

I decided early on that if my draft lottery number came up I would enlist in the Marines, for various reasons. By the time I graduated, 1975, the war was pretty much over and my classmates who had gone the full 4 years and taken the AFROTC scholarship found themselves graduated with a 6 year obligation but nowhere to fulfill it.

Many of my good friends did serve in country, as the term goes, and I respect them for it. In some ways I feel I missed out on someting by not being there, but in other ways, it was something God didn't want me involved in. My friends have never disparaged me because I was not over there. (I think they think I was too young.:eek:)

I did not run away from military service. I was just never required.

I have been a volunteer chaplain with police departments in the past and have gone through much of the police academy training.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  4. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

thanks for your analysis OSO, I aqree with it.
  5. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

thanks for the response, and thanks for providing the support to the LEO and herding the sheep.
  6. rice paddy daddy

rice paddy daddy Member

Thank you for serving our country.
    You were drafted, you went, instead of running away to Canada. That makes you my Brother.
    I enlisted in the Army in 1967, and volunteered for Vietnam in 1969. You are every bit as much a veteran as me.
    I have bumper stickers on the back of my truck to show my service:
    Vietnam Veteran, Society Of The Fifth Infantry Division, one for the VFW Post I belong to.
    You qualify for membership in Vietnam Veterans of America and the American Legion. Do you belong to either? If not, why not? You have earned it!
    FWIW, I belong to: Vietnam Veterans of America, VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, and the Society of the Fifth Division.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

being that the Coast Guard falls under Homeland security now, are they still eligible for any VA benefits?
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Why me.......

I went thru Tigerland for 2 weeks of por training. In December of 69. 2 ft of snow on the ground. Supposed to hit the dirt in 2ft drifts in jungle bdus when we heard the blanks being fired I was cold man! Showed us how to burn hootches and stuff. That's when we stood in close.

AAaaahhh the good ole daze!
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

2 ft. of snow at Tigerland, as in Ft. Polk LA??? That must have been different! :eek: I did Basic at Ft. Polk and hated it. I didn't think my enlistment date through very well and landed at Polk for Basic during July & August. The hot & sand behind the barracks for PT was a hoot!!! :bleh:
  10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Whymememe - read your post. I start by saying I have NO bumper stickers on any of my vehicles. I think maybe we see what that guy was saying much differently. To me - he was saying that people who criticize Viet Nam Vets - or our reason for being there in the first place - should keep their opinions to themselves if they don't know what they are talking about.

Until very recently, I've seem many, many instances of people who served in the RVN War being put down as idiots, or as druggies or as lunatics. At the same time I saw people of my age who dodged the draft by attending college or getting deferments in various ways being hailed as 'heroes' for 'standing up against an unjust war".

I am a combat vet (Army), and I salute anyone who did their duty in-country or anywhere they were called to serve. I guess I've tired of argueing about the justice of what we were doing to people who just don't get it. The communists in our education system have had 40+ years to brainwash those who didn't serve, so they sure won't listen to me. Taught how to burn down hootches? gimme a break. If you did that to an ordinary Vietnameese' hut, the First Shirt would have his boot so far up your tail that his laces would tickle your nose. Maybe this is what the bumper sticker meant. The 'Thanks for serving' line is meant as cover in my humble opinion. Something like peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. Anyone really want to honor a veteran? Vote on Election Day. Stand up straight when they play the National Anthem and quit yakking about the game. Or just put out the flag on the 4th of July and Memorial Day, and remember what it stands for.
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I'm betting he was talking to all the ersatz veterans who were neither in service or in combat but now claim they were. Funny how in the last 40 years there are now more vets claiming service in Nam then there were in uniform or in country yet those of us who were have been dying off regularly thanks to age, accidents and old exposures to chemicals and wounds take their toll.
  12. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

That is a very old sticker.
    There are patches like it.

Don't try to rationalise it if you were not part of it.

A lot is tomgue in cheek, a lot is aime4d at folks who run their mouths about things they don't know about.

During the whole was it was possible to be in VN with about 6 months service or less.

Sufficient or not.

No matter ones opinion or thinking, having "walked the walk" changes a person in ways some who hasn't will never appreciate.

Some guys have different ways of expressing this.

I don't have any like the one mentioned, but I have SF and Airborne decals on my rides.
    I went thru long hard extra duty to earn them and I choose to show them.

I am not part of the boo-hoo poor me-I got spit on bunch. I am proud of my service and many of us are.

In the 80s there was a big period of VN related activities, including state memorials and reunions. Kokomo Indiana still has one every fall with around 25-to 30 thousand vets in attendance.

Vendors had a hayday making and selling all kinds of stickers, badges, and pins.

Some were serious and silly like VC Hunting club-others just funny like the **** burners patch.

So I guess if you were not there, don't judge us that were.
    We don't care what you think.
  13. Tom T

Tom T Member

Us Army 69/70. I came home with no scars on the out side but the inside something else. To all our Brothers and Sisters who were there and other hell holes and to the so called non combats it's enough (for me)to be alive and in the country we serve. Tom T
  14. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. You've found a great place to be. We have great discussions, and lots of good laughs. You'll find people here have a genuine concern for each other. Pull up a chair and keyboard and join in.

Thanks for your service, TomT. The unseen scars can be the worst. You have my respect. :patriotic:
  15. Tom T

Tom T Member

Thanks for the support. TomT