1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Vietnam 10 ga

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mikelburns, Oct 4, 2012.

1. mikelburns

mikelburns New Member

My brother was with the Air Force 1st Mobile Communication group during Vietnam. He says he had a 10 ga shotgun. I'm trying to find make, model and the possibility of finding one as a gift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

never recall anyone saying they used a 10 ga.
    just saying
    Shotguns

The shotguns were used as an individual weapon during jungle patrol; infantry units were authorized a shotgun by TO & E (Table of Organization & Equipment). Shotguns were not general issue to all infantrymen, but were select issue, such as one per squad, etc.
    Winchester Model 1912 pump-action shotgun was used by the Marines during the early stages of the war.
    Ithaca 37 pump-action shotgun replaced every other shotgun in the field and armed the United States Marine Corps throughout the war.
    Remington 870 pump-action shotgun used by the Marines Special Operations Weapon a modification for a Remington 870 which made it fully automatic

Remington 11-48 semi-automatic shotgun used by the Marines in small quantities
    Winchester Model 1897 used by the Marines during the early stages of the war, but was later replaced by the Ithaca 37
    Stevens Model 77E, pump-action shotgun used by Army and Marine forces in Southeast Asia. Almost 70,000 Model 77Es were procured by the military for use in SE Asia during the
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If your brother used a 10 gauge shotgun in RVN, then it was a private purchase, not military issue.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Hillbilly, I think you got some bad info there.

>Remington 870 pump-action shotgun used by the Marines Special Operations Weapon a modification for a Remington 870 which made it fully automatic<

I can see (and even know of) 1100s converted to full auto. But converting a PUMP to full auto? That's right up there with converting a revolver to full auto. Might be doable, but surely seems stupid.
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

I think the poster might've been thinking of the Ithaca M37. I'm aware of at least one such conversion back in the day. As to full auto revolvers; this was once purportedly done using a single action center fire as the basis. Rear portion of the cylinder was trimmed - much like the 45acp & half moon clip conversion done on Webley .455s, thus providing a greater gap between the frame's recoil plate and rear face of the cylinder. Firing pin was lengthened accordingly. The falling hammer and pin would move the cartridge forward, the cartridge would discharge as it came to a full stop against the cylinder's rear face, cartridge (probably with a punctured primer) would move aft upon discharge, recocking the hammer, and if the trigger was still being held back the cycle would repeat. Have to agree with the above statement that such a conversion would be really stupid. Can't remember where I read about the actual modification.
  6. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

While I know of non that where standard issue the military loves to field test. Hey may very well have a had a test item. You MIGHT be able to get a copy of his records to see if he was issued a non standard arm but that would be a crap shoot itself.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

His military records would have no entries of any weapon he may have been issued, ever, so far as I know. All weapon issue records are local and temporary and destroyed when no longer valid.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

No, no military records or personel files recorded weapons issue. There are freaks and experimental guns but the mililtary does not issue one-off toys; military weapons are tested and standardized, and generally the use of non standard weapons and ammunition is prohibited (though in some areas that has not always been enforced).

I know for a fact that as time goes by and memories get hazy, stories get "improved".

Jim

P.S. Did I ever tell you how I captured Adolf Hitler and Napoleon on the same raid into China in 1620?

JK
  9. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I never saw one while I was in (10 ga.)
    As for making a pump shot gun full auto:rolleyes:
    I would have to see it to believe it.
    Can't see how that is even possible. A semi yes but a pump no way.
    Mike
    And as for you and Hitler Jim I know that is BS because I never saw you there! :lmao2:
    Unless you were the big guy that kept saying "KILL HIM JUST KILL HIM"
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I can see, possibly, issuing someone a SPAStic 12, as a "one-of" test. Because as long as it did not break, ammo is available.

But issuing a caliber/gauge that is not in the system? Ignoring the problem of keeping the gun working (because no one has any training on it), what are they going to feed it?
  11. nmckenzie

12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>"Both the SOW (Special Operations Weapon) and its magazine-fed Remington 870 predecessor (bottom) were products of mechanical wizard Carroll Childers, an engineer at the Naval Special Weapons Center. The 870 mod kit provided SEAL shotgunners with a quick-change magazine holding 20 rounds. The SOW was full-auto."<

That says to me TWO DIFFERENT GUNS. The SOW and its 870 predecessor. You know, like "the 1911 .45 automatic and its 38 Long Colt revolver predecessor". Or "the M1 Garand and its 1903 Springfield predecessor".

Just because the box-magazine fed 870 was used BEFORE the SOW (preceded it) does not mean that the SOW was derived from it.
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    To much excitement, chances of it being a 10 gauge are very slim and certainly not automatic. It may have been one of the modified guns like they used in WWII that slamfired and that is probably what the airman was thinking of. Especially if he was a non shooter and not used to firearms. Not really appropriate for security duty, that was a trench gun modification for close up and personal shooting.
  14. nmckenzie

Good points, and I agree with you. The M37 mod story was related to me back around '69 or so.
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Alpo I see what you are saying so you start with a pump rebuild it and change it around so it is a full auto.
    And now you have a gun that is not what it was but one that is what it is.
    And that is not a full auto pump but a full auto shotgun in fact the only thing on it that is the same as the original is the mod. # and receiver and maybe the barrel.
    All I could think about was staying out of the forarms way when it shoots:eek:
    Mike
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012