Vietnam Dec. 22,1972

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

warpig883
    (12/22/01 11:20:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Vietnam Dec. 22,1972
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 Washington announces Linebacker II raids will continue
    Washington announces that the bombing of North Vietnam will continue until Hanoi agrees to negotiate "in a spirit of good will and in a constructive attitude."

North Vietnamese negotiators walked out of secret talks in Paris on December 13. President Nixon issued an ultimatum to North Vietnam to send its representatives back to the conference table within 72 hours "or else." They rejected Nixon's demand, and in response the president ordered Operation Linebacker II, a full-scale air campaign against the Hanoi area.

I was only 5 years old so I don't remember this but I am sure some of you do. I do remember seeing the war on tv and hearing my dad talk about it.

During the 11 days of the operation, 700 B-52 sorties and more than 1,000 fighter-bomber sorties dropped an estimated 20,000 tons of bombs, mostly over the densely populated area between Hanoi and Haiphong. In the course of the bombing, the Cuban, Egyptian, and Indian embassies were hit in Hanoi, as were Russian and Chinese freighters in Haiphong. Bach Mai, Hanoi's largest hospital, was also damaged by the attacks. In the United States, 41 American religious leaders issued a letter condemning the bombing.

We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/23/01 12:02:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Vietnam Dec. 22,1972
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't remember where I read it, but this article said that when it was all said and done, Nixon ended up with the same terms after the Christmas bombing that he could have had before them. If this is true the last few U.S. service men killed in the war would have survived.