Vietnam Type 56 SKS (Pre-norinco export)

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ShawnDow, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Vietnam Era Type 56 SKS (Pre-norinco export)

O.K. guys
    I have a Vietnam era, Chinese Type 56 (Pre-norinco Export) SKS that I am trying ;excuse the term, restore, to a safer condition. From what I can see, all the parts of the SKS are original (less the bayonet, cleaning kit/rod, and sling). I want to keep the rifle in the "stock" configuration... But the original timber the receiver was laid in, is, "in my opinion" less than desirable to be shooting it in. Not that i'm going to discard the matching S.N. stock... but I want to put the receiver to bed in a safer pice of (original) lumber. This is the easy part.

Now, My problem lies in the fact i'm missing the original cleaning rod... Now I know the Type 56 SKS is already considered a "carbine rifle" and I know there was a "paratrooper" SKS which is suppose to be shorter (I don't have the paratrooper model)

What I'd like to know is, what is the original length of the cleaning rod? I have seen lengths running from 17", 17.25", 17.5" for the "new" aftermarket rods... I just want a functional O.E. unit!

Any help would be appreciated.
    Shawn
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. B27

B27 New Member

The paratrooper was a made up thing for the civilian market, like the tanker Garand.

I have an original Russian 1956 SKS in the safe.

Would the length of that rod help?
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Yes, the length of the cleaning rod would be a big help... Im trying to find my missing bits and pieces to have a complete SKS!
    Here in Tawas, Michigan we have a an annual community event in February for our small town called pearchville... just a bunch of silly things; polar bear swim, chili walk, the beer tent... Well they also have a high power rifle competition, called the "frozen chosen" and to be a qualifying entrant.. you have to have a military..( any country ) historic firearm... hence my acquisition of the SKS ( I wanted a Garand..but I cant afford that). Now Im just completing the SKS for this competition (and making it safe).

Any way.. B27, If you could relay that info to me, it would be great!
    Thanks,
    Shawn
  4. B27

B27 New Member

okey doke...I just gotta move a fat cat out the way....now open the safe...move this...that...the other thing HA! There she is ...lemme see......

The cleaning rod on my Rooskie SKS with a folding bayonet is exactly 17 inches long. :)

Gee...you learn something new everyday around here.
  5. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Wow! 17" its well endowed!
    Ive seen about 4 different lengths, and i've heard people complaining some don't fit too well. I'm just looking to put all the accessories back in place!
    And thank you B27 for taking time out of your day to help me out.
    Shawn