Vietnamese Ingenuity

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/29/01 7:20:13 pm)
    | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Vietnamese Ingenuity
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I received a golf jacket at the golf course where I work by the brand name of "AM A PLAYER". Great quality and not bad looking. Made where you say? Vietnam. First piece of clothing I've seen made in Vietnam.
    It reminded me of a holster that I had made in Vietnam for a S & W .357 magnum I traded for with a doctor at the 93rd Evac hospital for a .45 still in cosmoline sp? (protective wrap). I told the leather craftsman (in Bien Hoa) just what I wanted and a couple days later it was made. Black leather, western style, with loops for the silver .357 rounds the doc had with the pistol. We had hats embroidered and plaques made. I was amazed at what great craftsmen they were with pretty basic tools and I don't doubt they could have made up pretty much anything you wanted.
    The question is, did you have any things made or sewn while in Vietnam??

homer4
    (5/29/01 9:44:12 pm)
    | Del Re: Vietnamese Ingenuity
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bought a hand carved bone chess set and eventually gave it to my brother who lives in California.It's neat with all the detail and stuff...different Vietnamee warriors and Spirits and stuff.

Other than that I had my Tour of Duty jacket,a pair of those zippered boots and some pajamas...both the satin and the common drab black.My daughters wor them out over time.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/30/01 2:37:36 am)
    We were in the wilderness compared to many others and there were no great craftsmen. Also the Vietnamese in the Tonkin area were very poor even by Vietnam standards.
    I once watched four Vietnamese men carry a kerosene powered refrigerator all the way down Thunder Road. It was balanced on two bamboo poles. Some hills were low gear for a jeep!
    When dawn broke they were waiting outside our base camp for us to sweep the road for mines. As soon as we finished they started the trek. None of us could believe they would even attempt such a foolhardy and difficult task in that heat.
    We were forbidden to offer help or give them a ride.
    I am sure the refrigerator weighed more than all four of them combined. They would pick it up and move at a stumbling run for about twenty steps then stop and rest. If they took too long on the road Charlie would kill them after dark and they knew it. It was a scorching day. They made it by sunset. They had the first and only refrigerator on the whole peninsula. Villagers came from miles around to see it. Many had heard of refrigeration but didn't believe it. It would cool to about 50 degrees farenheit in that heat. Astounding people. Astounding ingenuity. Astounding feat of strength. Mike H

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/30/01 2:39:59 am)
    Homer;
    You should have a DNA test done on the bone carvings. You never know!
    Mike H

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (5/30/01 6:59:12 am)
    I had traded for three machetes. Not much detail to them but, they were nice. I wanted them for the fact that they were handmade. While on convoy I had traded for a small pair of silk pajamas for my baby daughter. Not sure if these were handmade or not, but they were really nice. My daughter wore them to bed most every night until she outgrew them...which didn't take long!!

homer4
    (5/31/01 7:20:31 pm)
    I assume them to be animal. Geez!,hate to think otherwise.

...and two hard boiled eggs.
  2. fearless warrior

fearless warrior New Member

WHat's the story behind the 2 hard boiled eggs?
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

!. Get two fresh eggs

2. put them in a pan of cold water

3. heat to a slow boil and let them boil for about 3 to 4 minutes

4. remove from water and let cool.

5. EAT

heheheheee!
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Fearless Warrior,

Please don't think I was diss'n you in my last post, I was just being normal. (Kind of a smarta$$)
  5. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Member

Durango Colorado, the right knee-pit of Colorado
    I have been thinking about this post...

I also had some Vietnamese cloths made while over there and have purchased some here just recently....

I thought that you might like to see some of the needlework they did for me..

I drew these dragons up and had the round ones placed onto the jacket pockets and the others on the sleeves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  6. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Those are some really nice patches, Mith.
  7. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

One of the things that we came across one day was a Vietnamese metal worker making a different type of M-16 rifle magazines. What he did was take apart some standard magazines, weld or braize the outer parts together, stretch the springs or put in some brand new springs that he had specially made to produce extra long magazines that could hold 75 to 90 rounds in each one of them. I ended up with 3 of those magazines which were a whole lot BETTER than the jamming 20 round magazines that we were issued by our supply people. I never once had a problem with that guy's magazines. I wish that I had thought to bring home a couple of those magazines but I didn't. The magazines hung out the bottom quite a bit but they were nice.