Vihtavuori Powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Apr 19, 2012.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I have some 130 grain FMJ rounds for 9mm. The reloading books I have recommend Vihtavuori Powder. I think it is made by Lapua. Question, rather than buy a 1lb of it for the few rounds I have, is this powder comparable to any other powder? If so, great. If not, the powder I am looking at is the V-N340 and that can be used in 9mm and .45 acp.

Thank you!
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The other thing about Vihtavuori Powder is finding it at your local dealer. While a good powder it apparently is not nearly as popular as most American distributed powders and that makes it hard to find locally.

There are a ton of different powders that work well with 9mm and 45ACP. Probably one of the most universal powders that can be used in almost any handgun cartridge is Winchester 231 or its exact twin Hodgdon HP38 (same powder different label... Hodgdon distributes both). I use W231/HP38 in all my handgun loads.

These fast powders like W231/HP38 use up a small portion of the volume of the case and that is alright for them. They are designed that way. Some other slower burning powders when loaded down, using only a small part of the case volume, are affected by the excessive empty space. The velocity results are different depending on where the bulk of the powder lies in the case. This appears not to be true of the fast buttoning powders like Bulleye, W231/PP38, AA#2 and others. The slower powders in the burning speed range of Unique (but not necessarily Unique???) may be greatly affect by powder position in the case. Velocity testing will point out which is and which is not.I have yet to see an article on this matter but have read comments where in-promt-to testing reveal this issue.

LDBennett
  4. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Thank you. The reason I asked is that the only powder my reloading books show for 130 grain (9mm) FMJ is the Vihtavuori powder. I currently use Unique and am happy with it. I didn't know if I needed to just suck it up and buy a pound or if there was a combination of using a different powder. Like going up/down with weight and using different powder, like Unique, and that being ok.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Are they FMJ or are they plated bullets? 130 is a rather odd weight for a jacketed bullet...but it is possible. It's more common to see that weight in cast lead or plated lead though.

Check the Hodgdon data center. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    They do have a few loads for the 130gr Berrys plated round nose. These would be mild loads for a standard jacketed FMJ bullet.

Also, 130gr is very similar in weight to 124/125gr. 5gr is enough of a difference to be cautious enough to stay away from the max loads.
    If you stayed at the bottom of the 124/125gr data you should be safe.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I love VV powders I just can't afford to buy them around me they are $4 more expensive than Any other. I guess it is because they are a foreign name powder.

Talking to the Chief Ballistician at SHOT for Hodgdon I believe Hodgdon powder makes it all for sale over here.
  7. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I think these bullets are for the 38 Super but I wanted to know if they would be ok in the 9mm. The Lee handbook I have has listings for 130 grain but using the Vihavuori powder. I just did not feel like spending $30 for powder for these bullets specifically but the powder woul work for some other loads as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

me too, it seems like they are super clean... small cut extruded and meter pretty good as well...
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Those are indeed intended for the .38Super. Not to mention they're some old timers too looking at the box.

Sierra still makes a 130gr FMJ in .355". They have it listed on the same data page as their 125grs. See attached page from their 5th Ed manual. Lots of powder choices besides the VV stuff...which as others have said is a fine brand but hard to get in my area too.

Attached Files:

10. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Thank you Bindernut! That helps save me time and money for the VV powder. I already have other powder that I'll use and they are old bullets. I forgot where Dad got them but they do look old.