vintage gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by zombieaware, Jun 20, 2011.

1. zombieaware

zombieaware New Member

I have a vintaged pistol with the following marks than I would like some information on. I would like to know whether it is Designed by firearms dealer and inventor by the name of Jose de Lopez Arnaiz, and it's value if possible.

The gun has a marking of what appears to be a dragon standing on it's hind legs with it's head facing away from the barrel breathing fire(this figure appears in 3 places, the barrel, side plate, and cylinder)(it might be a lion with it's tongue out?) and beside it is a shield with a cross in the center and a crown on top of it and the initials P.IJ (not exactly sure of the letters). This gun has a pull down trigger and is approx. 80+% blued a rich dark blue.

OTHER MARKINGS INCLUDE:

Below cylinder and on the frame reads: "Cal 8 m/m"
    Below animal symbol on barrel the number 22

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. BillM

BillM Active Member

Well, It appears to be of the type sometimes refered to as a Velo-Dog
    revolver. Most are Belgian, but yours appears to be Spanish. The
    crown over X in a shield is a Eibar Spain admission proof.

I can't see the dragon/lion/whatever very clearly--but the Spanish
    definitive proof for handguns 1923-1929 is a standing lion. Pretty
    late in the velo-dog era, but possible.

Caliber is 320 of some sort.

Value? Not much.

Designed by Jose etc.? Not likely. The original inventor of the whole
    velo-dog style was Charles-Francois Galand of France.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That style of revolver was made in a number of European countries, mainly Belgium and Spain, from roughly 1880-1914, and were comparable in concept and purpose to our various pocket model revolvers made by H&R, Iver Johnson, and others.

Some were made for the 5.7 Velo-Dog cartridge. The term is a combination of "Velocipede" (an old term for bicycle) and "Dog" and those revolvers were originally intended for use by bicyclists for protection against attacking dogs. Some collectors refer to any revolver of that general design as a "Velo-Dog" even though that term really applies only to guns chambered for the Velo-Dog cartridge.

The gun shown was made in Spain in that general era and, while the cylinder appears to be long enough for the Velo-Dog round, an 8mm caliber would indicate chambering for the old British .320 cartridge, nearly identical to the .32 Short Colt, though many will accept and fire the .32 Long Colt. Some might even accept the .38 Special, but firing it would not be recommended.

Value, in that condition, maybe $250-300.

I don't know his connection with that revolver, but Jose de Lopez Arnaiz is better known for his Jo-Lo-Ar line of autoloading pistols made to be loaded and cocked with the firing hand.

Jim
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I knew I had seen that name before but for the life of me I couldn't place him. In addition to being the patent holder on the Jo-Lo-Ar he must have been either a small maker, retailer or both. Or he may have just worked for the Arrizabalaga family. Since he didn't miss his date with the grave in 1936 we probably never know. ADDED:: Research shows Jose was a gun dealer/retailer who had the Jo-Lo-Ar built by the Arrizabalaga Firm. He dealt with several other small gun firms and even tried to make a deal with Star. The true maker of that small revolver will never be known because of the turmoil of the Spanish Civil War.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011