Vintage Mossberg and Sons 152K .22 LR Rifle. Help needed!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Esrange, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Esrange

Esrange New Member

I purchased this rifle at an auction today for possibly too much :(
    It's a Mossberg and sons Model 152K. Overall it's in pretty good shape, there's some rust spots on the bolt but nothing too deep, there's no pitting, no cracks in the wood, and I don't see any bluing wear (maybe a little near the end of the barrel)
    It came with a 7 round magazine.
    The bolt is a bit stiff but smooth, the trigger feels a bit gritty though.

I paid 100$ for it (after tax), I usually buy stuff to resell for profit, but I'm reading that these don't go for more than 100$.
    I'll post pictures tomorrow when there's better light (it's night out), but I do want some help.

Can anyone tell me how to disassemble the bolt? I'm new to guns, this is my first rifle.
    Also, how to I clean the bore out? I looked down into it (after putting it in safe of course), and about an inch down it looks like there's a clot of dirt or lead in the barrel.

I do want to shoot it sometime, I hope I can!

Thanks for any help!
  2. Esrange

Esrange New Member

Pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

You are about correct on the price you paid being the value of the Mossberg 152A.
    Cleaning is simple and you will need a few tools. If you have a gun shop or even Walmart near by you can get a rifle cleaning kit with a cleaning rod, jag, patches, brush, solvent and oil. No doubt the kit will come with instructions but it's all pretty self evident.
    Of course do not fire the rifle until you have the barrel free of any obstructions. If it already is not damaged firing it will almost certainly "ring" the barrel and diminish the accuracy and value of your rifle.
    I cannot supply you with step by step instructions on assembly but I am including a parts break down that may help.
    [​IMG]

Tarheel101
  4. Esrange

Esrange New Member

Thanks, that did help!
    It's actually really easy to take the bolt out, I was able to clean out the barrel and bolt and now it's a bit smoother.
    Another question, is it ok to dry fire it? When I put the bolt back it, it's cocked, so either I have to dry fire it or something.
  5. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

For the condition it is in it is about a $100.00 gun where I am. It would bring up to $150.00 if in better condition. If it was the 152 with the peep sight, it would bring more.
  6. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Esrange-
    I have the brother to this one...the Mossberg 151K. It loads thru a slot in the stock and holds 15 rnds or so. They were only made for a couple yrs., 1950-1952 I believe. Anyway, 10 mths ago I attended an auction here in N.Central Iowa that had a 152K like yours without a scope. It was the reason that I went to the sale , but it was in worse shape then yours.....and it sold for $165. That surprised me as did several other firearms at this sale. My 151K is a shooter...in excellent condition....and, physically, the rifle is the same size as my Ruger M77 22-250...I guess you would call it a full size .22 rimfire rifle. I mounted a 3-9 x 50 Simmon's on it and it groups at 1.5-2" at 100 yrds. when I'm doing my part. If you plan to keep it and shoot it....one thing is recommended....do not fire hyper velocity ammo in your Mossberg!! These rifles were made during a time when standard .22 rimfire was the norm. You'll beat it up with CCI Stingers and the like. Clean it up as best you can and enjoy it!!
  7. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

Esrange,
    Concerning your post of 3-5 about dry fire damage. I have always heard that dry firing rimfire firearms can cause damage to the chamber. This would happen if the firing pin was extending too far or was misaligned. Take a close look at your chamber and at the point where the firing pin strikes the rim of the rimfire cartridge and see if any previous damage has occured, no doubt in a rifle the age of yours it has been dry fired before. If damage exists it is likely that continued dry fire could make it worse, if there is no evidence of a problem you should be good to go.

Tarheel101
  8. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Now that you've cocked it, you will notice that the knurled part of the bolt at the rear is sticking out slightly. You can take something like a thin piece of wood, thin piece of plastic (like a guitar pick) , even a screwdriver blade and put it in the gap between created when the gun was cocked. This material will absorb most of the impact, then remove whatever it is you used.

But, if it were mine, I'd just pull the trigger and not worry about it.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

That was a good bye in my eyes.

Not too many still have the fold down fore arm on them.
  10. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Nice little rifle, keep it as a shooter since you won't retire on the profit from a sale. The mossbergs can be accurate and fun to shoot if you take a little time to see what ammo it prefers.
  11. Esrange

Esrange New Member

Wow, that's kind of surprising. I'll go down to the local range and see how it does.

And thanks for all the info guys! I'll be sure to buy a box of regular .22LR if i can find some at Walmart. I need to pick up some lube and oil for it to.
    I took the bolt out to check for any rust. None! There's still some old grease in there. It's a bit stiff, but that could be from it not being fired much.
    The bore is sharp and clean, and my eyes can't spot any rust inside but I'm having someone else look at it. I also checked the firing pin, it doesn't seem to be hitting any metal and it's straight. I've found pictures of other bolts from the 152 family and the pin looks right in mine.
  12. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

Any high speed ammo will work. Just not the hyper 22 rounds. All of your target grade and bulk ammo will be fine.
  13. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

ford trucks is correct.....high velocity .22 ammo will be fine. I've owned my Mossy for over 15yrs and I've used most all brands of the bulk .22 ammo with no adverse effects. I have found that the CCI standard velocity rounds that I use in my High Standard, Ruger, & S&W, target pistols has yielded the best accuracy by far at the 50 & 100 yrd range's. Many times at several different ranges that I attend, other shooters would ask what make & caliber high pwr. my Mossy was....it does look like a high pwr. rifle just setting there on a rest, if you aren't familiar w/ the gun. It for sure is bigger than other .22's, like the Marlin's, Ruger's, Remington's etc.