VIRGINIA TECH AGAIN! Officer killed...RIP my prayers for his brother officers/family

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VERDAD, Dec 8, 2011.

1. VERDAD

VERDAD New Member

Virginia Tech says police officer shot near campus, possible second victim
    Published: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 2:02 PM Updated: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 2:05 PM
    By The Associated Press The Associated Press
    Follow 9 Share close
    Digg

Stumble Upon

Fark

Reddit
    Share Email Print
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Tech said a police officer was shot Thursday and a possible second victim was reported at a parking lot near the campus, where 33 people died in 2007 in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history

A campus-wide alert told students and faculty to stay inside and lock doors. Authorities were seeking a suspect. University and law enforcement officials declined any comment on the officer's condition.

A law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case, said initial reports indicated that the shooting occurred following a traffic stop.

The suspect was described as a white male wearing gray sweat pants, a gray hat with neon green brim, a maroon hoodie and backpack.

A message left with the university wasn't immediately returned. Campus police referred all questions to the university.

"It's crazy that someone would go and do something like that with all the stuff that happened in 2007," said Corey Smith, a 19-year-old sophomore from Mechanicsville, Va., who was headed to a dining hall near the site of one of the shootings, but stayed inside after seeing the alerts from the school. "It's just weird to think about why someone would do something like this when the school's had so many problems."

Darik Anderson, assistant ticket manager for the athletics department, said his office in Lane Stadium is next door to the coliseum but he could not see anything from his vantage point.

"We're in lockdown," he said. "All the news we're getting is what's on the school's website."

The shooting came the same day as Virginia Tech, which has an enrollment of about 30,000, was appealing a $55,000 fine by the U.S. Education Department in connection with the university's response to the 2007 rampage, when a student gunman killed 32 students and faculty and then shot himself.

A report of a possible gunman at Virginia Tech on Aug. 4 set off the longest, most extensive lockdown and search on campus since the 2007 bloodbath led the university to overhaul its emergency procedures. No gunman was found, and the school gave the all-clear about five hours after sirens began wailing and students and staff members started receiving warnings by phone, email and text message to lock themselves indoors. Alerts were also posted on the university's website and Twitter accounts.

That incident marked the first time the entire campus was locked down since the 2007 shooting, and the second major test of Virginia Tech's improved emergency alert system. The system was revamped to add the use of text messages and other means besides email of warning students.

The system was also put to the test in 2008, when an exploding nail gun cartridge was mistaken for gunfire. But only one dorm was locked down during that emergency, and it reopened two hours later.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Re: VIRGINIA TECH AGAIN! Officer killed...RIP my prayers for his brother officers/fam

I wonder how long it will take before someone tries to politicize it like they did with the Giffords shooting.

I pray to God nobody else gets hurt and they stop the people.
  3. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Re: VIRGINIA TECH AGAIN! Officer killed...RIP my prayers for his brother officers/fam

I wonder if this guy is a copy cat. It seems like Virginia Tech is becoming a focal point
    for this kind of stuff. Lightning don't usually strike twice in the same place.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Come on.........don't feed the hype.......;)

What is up with all this speculation...........?:confused: This isn't a shooting spree like last time. Nobody know what happened. The guy could have had drugs or a warrant.....who knows, he could just be a regular old criminal. All the speculation crap is what makes the gun haters foam at the mouth.

As far as how long it takes them to use it for their anti-gun message......it has probably already started somewhere. :rolleyes:
  5. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

you know what VA Tech should do? ban guns on campus! oh, wait, they already did. see how well it's working?:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  6. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

CNN confirms that the cop and the other victim are dead :(
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

:D:D:D:D:D

Great point. Maybe if one of the "witnesses" the media said the police had were packing this could have been different. Maybe only the one fatality.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I heard today and its a shame that had to happen. Maybe everyone on campus should be issued bullet proof vests, teachers,staff,and students. That would really help :D
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Gun free zone = shooting galleries for those who dont care about what is written somewhere on paper

paper dont stop criminals

guns do

Prayers for the LEO's family
  10. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

11. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

So the cop pulls a car over............stranger walks up and shoots him......leaves the scene and commits suicide.

Sounds personal..........I wonder if they knew each other?
  12. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

A Tech officio has already commented that guns have caused too much grief on their campus. They are immediately blaming guns and not the shooter. I grieve for the fallen officer and his family. DUH!!!! someone with any concept of intelligence would blame the gun and not the shooter. There were sure was alot of firepower responding to the incident. Kinda negates the concept of not fighting fire with fire. The BS and speculation flying around a 3 county area was unbelievable. John Q sent the authorities scurrying around everywhere and scared the general public needlessly. They locked down a number of secondary,elementry and colleges for speculation. I was in the county not far from campus when I heard about it. Was I scared,NO was I concerned YEA! did I respond to every strange person or situation,NO was I alert YEA! was I armed YEA!! Would I have went on campus looking for the shooter NO!!!! Would I have responded in kind if I had of been threatened or seen another in the community threatened YEA!!! Would I have responded if I were on campus and firearms were allowed,YEA,YEA,YEA!!!!!! Hell YEA!!!!!:(:confused::(:mad:
  13. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Did you know 3 hours later there was another Brother in Blue shot here in Virgina? and another shoting in DC?

I guess the media didn't find them as important
  14. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

1 in NC too.......................really makes you wonder. One of my cop buddies said in total there were 6 killed yesterday in a similar manner.
  15. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I quess it's just location,location,location.