VN Dog Handlers

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Copr6
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (5/23/01 6:50:42 pm)
    | Del All VN Dog Handlers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There will be a very emotional documentary on the Animal Planet channel Friday night at 8p EST. I have seen this documentary on either The History or Discovery channels. It is an excellent program about the Dogs and their Handlers that served in VN.

hope6970
    (5/23/01 7:02:16 pm)
    | Del Re: VN Dog Handlers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Copr6 for the info, I have heard about it but never have seen it.

Misterstan
    (5/24/01 8:32:55 am)
    I believe the program is called RAIN and it runs from 8 P.M. Eastern Time to 10 P.M. and then it will be re-run from 10 P.M. to Midnight.

Thanks for the Heads Up.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

LarryJK
    (5/24/01 8:44:47 am)
    Stan...see my post in re "Correction". Your right about the movie. The documentary is Thurs May 24 at 8p.

Misterstan
    (5/24/01 8:54:05 am)
    Larry,

You're right. The Documentary WAR DOGS runs tonight at 8 P.M. to 9 P.M.. My TV Listings says it is about dogs being used in WW II. Is it a misprint?

Thanks,

Stan Lambert

LarryJK
    (5/24/01 9:54:03 am)
    Stan...I do believe it is a misprint! I have seen this advertised all this week...no mistake that it is VN dog/handlers...NOT WWII.

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/24/01 1:42:12 pm)
    I had only a few experiences with Dog Handlers. Once we had a temporary assigned to us for tracking. It didn't work.
    The dog handler showed up with something like five canteens of water. We thought he was a greenhorn but he said the dog required more water than a human. Four canteens for the dog and one canteen for the handler. He had guts to even go out with us in that area. I am sure there were a lot of guys who would duck that duty.
    The second experience was in the northern sector of I Corps.
    We were all waiting for an STOL to pick us up at some godforsaken micro--airstrip and there was a Dog Handler there with us. He warned everyone to stay away from the dog, it was vicious.
    Our most hated squad member named Burke walked up to the dog in defiance of the warning. The dog did nothing. Burke turned around and walked away laughing. The dog lunged to the end of his leash and slashed Burke's back with a fang. It went right through the jungle fatigues and deep into the flesh. We wanted to reward the dog with some C rations but the handler said the dog was trained not to accept food from strangers. We praised the dog highly with "good dog and good boy". Burke was pi**ed since he now had a dog bite in a tropical climate and no medic. I was short and was just waiting for the extraction to go home. BTW -- When the Dog Handler is short they euthanize the dog. It's a one man dog. Mike H

Edited by: 106RR196LIB at: 5/24/01 3:39:53 pm

Rons Toys
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/24/01 2:00:13 pm)
    list of handlers/dogs
    www.mcnelly-sr.com/units/scout.htm

stories:
    www.thepetchannel.com/News/wardog/
    www.qmfound.com/scout_dogs.htm

home page for War=dogs
    www.war-dogs.com/

LarryJK
    (5/24/01 4:57:37 pm)
    Ron...great sites! The only memory of dogs that I have is when I first arrived for MP AIT at Ft. Gordon, Ga. It was within a couple of days that they asked if there were any volunteers for Doghandlers school somewhere in Texas. Rumor had it that if you got sent to Vietnam as a doghandler, you would only be setting high on a mountain with the dog. Little did I or any one else know what was really involved. I and another guy volunteered to go to doghandlers school. Never heard a thing about it after that.

homer4
    (5/24/01 8:21:14 pm)
    They were every bit the soldier too.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

Misterstan
    (5/24/01 9:28:44 pm)
    Larry,

I watched the documentary tonight. It was very well done and it really tugged at your heart strings. The dog handlers and their dogs soon became prime targets for the VC snipers.

Why was it that during WW II they considered the dogs soldiers, but in Vietnam they were considered military property to be left behind like used equipment?

Stan Lambert

LarryJK
    (5/24/01 10:25:50 pm)
    I don't know Stan...strange I know. The military works in mysterious ways...and not always for the good of those involved. Tug at the heart? Big time!!

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/25/01 8:41:18 am)
    I said it once and will say it again. Those who made that decision are nothing more than rat bastids.

Indybear57
    (5/25/01 10:13:53 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: VN Dog Handlers
    A couple of more dog related links:

www.vdhaonline.org/ VN Dog Handler Association

www.vspa.com/ VN Security Police Association (good section on K-9)

Remf
    (5/26/01 8:27:56 pm)
    | Del Dog Handlers
    I just heard that Phoenix Is going to have about 15 dogs with handlers marching in the Memorial parade. They are working on getting jackets made for them with a dog vet's name on it. It's being organized by Puppypusher.(screen name from Noghostallowed)

LarryJK
    (5/26/01 11:47:08 pm)
    | Del Re: Dog Handlers
    Remmie...I have been to that site, Noghostallowed...some good guys there. If I'm not mistaken, Puppypusher was a MP in VN.

nighthawk
    (5/31/01 8:55:04 pm)
    First, Larry, when were you at Ft Gordon??
    I hate to sound like one of those "been everywhere, done everythin" guys, but originally, before re-enlisting for data processing school, I had enlisted for Military Police. While at Ft Gordon (Jul-Sep 64) we were told that all personnel from our class were going to be assigned to some MP Bn on the DMZ in Korea. This was probably BS, but who knows? Anyway, we were informed the only way out was to volunteer for Sentry Dog Handler School. Being young and dumb, and full of,,ooppss,,anyway, I did go for the doggy school. It was at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antoneo, TX. After 8 weeks there, I was sent to a Nike-Hurcules base outside of Albany, GA., where I walked guard duty for about a year. Not bad duty,,just boring as hell.
    Then word came down that they were going to turn guard duty over to non-dog handlers. Those of us that were dog handlers were to go through TWO (yes 2) weeks of retraining with our dogs, then would be reassigned to lovely southeast Asia as scout dog handlers. Keep in mind that our dogs, smart and loyal as they were, were only used to walking around a missle base or some air force flight line. Two weeks re-training was not going to cut it. In fact, the Military Police Journal (remember that??published at Ft Gordon I think, for all the MPs) in, I think the Jul 65 or Aug 65 issue, was a statement that the casualtys for the re-tread doggys (both handlers and dogs) was around 75% at that time. Seems Charlie had found a new source for rations!! The poor dogs were totally out of their realm, as were the MPs. Anyway, since my momma had not raised too many fools, I saw this as a good reason to follow my career counsellors recomnedations and re-up. Went to Ft Ben Harrison for Data Processing school. Which is another story. Such was the end of a short-lived career as a dog handler. But I did miss my pup.

LarryJK
    (6/1/01 12:46:47 am)
    Hawk... I was at Ft. Gordon from Dec 67 until Feb 68. Went home for about three weeks(got a divorce during that time) and straight to VN.