Voting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dcd_enterprises, Nov 2, 2008.

1. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Voting Question

Christi and I already have, but I have a question to pose to all you great sages out there in the ether.

I don't ever vote and not fill out the ballot completely. I, as of late, have heard about a great deal of fall off on voting; people will vote for Pres. and Vice Pres, and then submit their ballot, leaving the remaining positions blank.

I guess we are blessed to come from a small community, Township trustees are known and county supervisors have been acquainted. I can understand in a larger community/more densely populated area not voting for these positions simply for lack of knowledge of those persons running, but my problem is Judges.

This election I actually prepared myself, I had researched in advance who would be on the ballot, but find it difficult to figure out any sort of position on a Judge. I understand the importance of a non-partisan Judiciary, but once they have ruled on any case law one should be able to determine, somewhat, their perspective on their own role as a judge. I know for example that if they were voted on for retention there are four judges on the Supreme Court that I personally would not vote to retain tomorrow. Unfortunately, we do not have that option.

What say you? Is there somewhere I can look to explore previous case history on a particular Justice? Iowa's Supreme Court, Circuit Courts, and County Magistrates are all subject to voting. As it were, I could get some feel for a position on a few of them, but the rest of them I simply had to look at the Governor who nominated them, and went by that. After all, most of the Judges that Clinton nominated as President I would not vote to retain, but I still don't really feel comfortable with this logic. Would appreciate hearing your perspective on the matter.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. Shellback

Shellback New Member

My wife and I are just as confused and probably less prepared then you and Christi,
    we have little knowledge on the issues around here or the politicians. I have a bad habit of voting no on everything that costs money and the different bonds, seems they try to confuse alot of it now to throw me off. I try to inform myself on the politicians but it's really confusing they seem to all tell you want you want to hear.
    Tim
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I always fill it out completely, other than the ones who are running uncontested. I don't give them the satisfaction of my vote :D.

In cases like judges, they are actually frequently uncontested here, or there is an incumbent. I have dealt minorly with our justice system and enjoyed it and the area is doing great so the incumbent gets the vote.

More often than not though in those hard-to-decide races (for LACK of information) a simple browse through the voters guide is enough to pick out the winners from the losers. An incredibly high amount of people don't submit a statement or picture, people who can't take the time to submit a paragraph about what they stand for don't deserve my vote. Its that simple.
  4. vytoland

vytoland New Member

government elections = send in the clowns
  5. dcd_enterprises

The elections for judges here are yes or no, weather or not to retain a particular judge. Not to select between two judges. Each judge is up, i believe, every 5 years, and if there are more no votes on retention, they are off the bench 31 Dec.
  6. dcd_enterprises

Still hoping to get some more opinions on this...
  7. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

Well, what I do especially when it comes to judges, is to research (usually on the internet) just to see who appointed them. If it was a liberal governor, I vote "no." I voted no many times lately with judges that were for re-up that were appointed by Gray Davis. :mad:

Being in a rural area, we too know our local reps (supervisors) and so far... all of them are useless p.o.s.'s. But...the lemings keep voting them in.

Other than that, I wrote in a candidate for the first time in my 32 years of voting. The Republican had sold himself out to the dems, so what the hell...at least I would know what we were getting with the libs vs voting for a conservative who sells him/herself out to the libs, so I didn't vote for that candidate and the ol' SaddleSarge got a vote for the first time in his life (vs the traitor conservative). :D