VW Passat - 65.2 MPG (US gallon) in the UK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by montezumaz, Aug 30, 2012.

1. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have heard that.
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I remember reading this before!

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/05/84-mpg-couple-break-mileage-record-with-passat-tdi.html

84 mpg?! Couple Break Mileage Record With Passat TDI

.........John and Helen Taylor really know how to stretch a tank of gas. The couple squeezed 1,626 miles out of one tank of diesel fuel in a Volkswagen Passat TDI, breaking previous records.

During a three-day trip, the couple set out to beat the previous record for the most miles covered on a single tank of diesel: 1,526.6 by a VW Passat diesel in Europe.

The Taylors left Houston on May 3 in a 2012 Passat TDI with a manual transmission and ran out of fuel three days and nine states later in Sterling, Va.

Before the drive, the speedometer and odometer were calibrated by a state-certified testing facility. The Houston Police Department oversaw the initial fuel fill-up and sealed the gas tank at the beginning of the drive. At the end, a Loudoun County, Va., sheriff's deputy verified the ending mileage and removed the fuel-tank seal. The result was a whopping 84.1 mpg; the Passat TDI is EPA-rated at 31/43 mpg city/highway.....MORE IN LINK.......
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My old Skoda Octavia (made by VW) 1.8 liter diesel got up to 72 mpg (imperial); average 54.5 mpg over the three years I had it. It was a 1998 model with around 275000 miles on it. I now have a 10-year old Skoda Octava and am "training" it, learning how to get similar mileage. So far it gets as high as 62 mpg (imperial) for an average of 54 mpg.

My last fill-up, 41 liters or 10.8 US gal., cost £45, or $71, of which half to 2/3 was tax.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yup. Big oil don't want cars that are small sippers... I've been dying to get stock diesel engines for my Toyotas but not in this country. Have to retrofit yourself with something else that meets the US emission standards. Sucks
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

That's because the government endorses the Big Three because of unions, over foreign cars.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

My sister had a diesel 2002 Beetle she used in her courier business. She consistently got 52 mpg. I used the same car as her relief driver and got 48 mpg driving the heck out of it. When she got out of the business in 2006 it had 235000 miles and still going strong.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I prefer diesel over any gas vehicle.
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have they resolved the fuel gelling problem in sub -zero temperatures?