vz-24 bayonet

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by H&Rfanatic, Feb 28, 2010.

1. H&Rfanatic

H&Rfanatic New Member

VZ-24 knife and matching sheathe.

E-23 with serial number of C-5896

Z with circle

Lions crest with circle..

Blade is upward on rifle..

wood and blade are excellent

what year and a guesstimate of what it is worth???

[​IMG]
  2. stede

stede Member

How long is the blade? 450mm is standard for the Pattern 98/22 (also called VZ23), but the same model with a shorter blade is the VZ24... yours looks nice and nicely marked, is the bayonet marked CSZ like the scabbard? Are there unit marks stamped on the back of the pommel?
    And yes, 23 (1923) is the year of manufacture.
    I ask these questions because- and I'm sure you know- the Czechs produced one hell of a lot of these bayonets. Most went with export orders for all the countries to whom they supplied VZ-24 rifles. Small details mean the difference in the value of your bayonet...
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  3. H&Rfanatic

H&Rfanatic New Member

The knife is 15" long and the blade is 10" long.

There is a CSZ on both articles

The only unit number is the C 5896

Was this the first year they put the blade up???

Was this the first year they manufactured these knifes..

thank you for the info..

[​IMG],[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. stede

stede Member

The number C5896 is in fact matched to the serial number of the rifle it was issued with; these are some of the few bayonets of any country to have been matched with the rifle. You probably know that Czechoslovakia was formed as a country out of the debris of WW1; one of the privileges granted it was manufacture of the Mauser rifle. The first rifles made were identical to the standard M98 issued to German troops in the war, and the long M98/22 was the bayonet designed for them but the Czechs quickly modified the design of the Mauser rifle into the VZ-24 carbine, which was more in keeping with the 'modern' ideas of the time- ie a shorter and handier firearm.
    Yours is a transition piece- made in '23 but with the shorter blade that became standard with the Bodak (bayonet) 24. It is a nice example, but so very many were made that they don't fetch a lot, really- $40-$60 would be the range, in my opinion. Still, a very nice example of the pattern... best, Steve
  5. H&Rfanatic

H&Rfanatic New Member

thanks. I have a 1936 vz24 that has not been blued by the Germans (white rhino) that the bayonet fits on. was offered a good amount but said no.
    Thanks again Steve
  6. wpage

wpage Active Member

Could be worth alot more to the right collector...
  7. stede

stede Member

Could be worth alot more to the right collector... True dat! A collector needing this (very nice) example to fill a hole would certainly pay more than the average price...
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

When I bought my VZ-24, it also came with a bayonet which looks exactly like this one. After looking a this thread, I dug the bayonet out and looked at it. There are no markings on the sheath at all. The only thing on the blade is a "Z" with a circle around it. Someone has etched TR 912 on the end, which is the rifle's serial number. This must be a reproduction or something made up to sell with the rifles. I bought the rifle in Nov 2003 from Aim Surplus.
  9. stede

stede Member

Not a repro, Moody- an export model. I used to have a list of the countries that bought VZ-24s from Czechoslovakia, can't find it now but MANY countries bought 'em, including Europe, the Middle East, and much of South America. The bayonets that went with the rifles don't wear Czech national military markings like H&R's piece...
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

I have one of those, usually had for $18-30. Mine has a miss-matched scabbard, off a Mauser bayonet.