vz 52 rifle?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by soundguy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

buddy came over at lunch with what we have looked up to be a vz 52 rifle.

he was sold it at a gun show and was told it was 7.62x45 I googled it and see it could be that or the 52/57 and be 7.62x39

the stampins are so light.. i can see the cal stamp that starts with 762 but ironically.. the last 2 digits are near impossible to read!!

now.. as I understand it.. this thing should headspace on the shoulder right? thus iding betweent he 2 calibers should be as simple as dropping a x39 into the chamber and see if it swallows it.. or if the rebated rim coves up at the dege of the chamber / drop in a x45 and see if it sticks way out when seated.

right?

next question / issue.

the small? 10 rnd box mag is odd.

on the back is a rib and the follower has a tab that rides inside this rib.. however it binds.. the rib starts out .. um.. parallel at the base.. and as it nears the top of the mag.. towards the release groove it angles in on one side. is it bent? or made that way?

lastly.. it won't feed. I have 7/62x39 ammo for my sks and we kinda got the magazine working though it is hanging and not feeding well.. still trying to decide if the mag is bent.. in any case.. pulling the bolt back does not strip a cartridge out of the mag and load it.. seems they are setting about 1/8" too low. looking at the top of the mag as it is installed int he well. the top ears are folded over and rounded pretty darn deep.. makes it difficult to load even.. not that the mag is accepting cartridges well anyway.

also.. what is the method of extraction? i hand loaded a x39 with the mag out and bolt open and when I snatcht he bolt open it does not extract the cartridge.. it's got issues evidentally.

he left me the gun as I had to get mack to work.. i was gonna play with the mag a bit and see what's what. perhaps try to test fire it once I had tested the x39 / x45 thing...

comments please.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The tab at the rear top of the magazine activates the bolt hold-open when the magazine is empty. It should come through the hole in the back of the magazine and move freely up and down.

The reason the rifle won't feed may be interference from the bent tab or it may be that you are inserting the magazine wrong. You have to put the front in all the way first, then swing the rear end up and in, exactly like the M14.

I am pretty sure your rifle is in 7.62x45, but a chamber cast would confirm that. The 7.62x45 chamber won't "swallow" a 7.62x39 round; the shorter round wedges in and is flush with the end of the barrel, so it is not picked up by the extractor.

7.62x45 ammo is available, though not as cheap as the 7.62x39. Google "7.62x45" for some sources.

Jim
  3. soundguy

he's bringing over some x45 ammo today, though I won't get to mess with it till tomorrow.

wife is back from out of town and brought camera home, so will try to get som epics of that magazine and both cartridges as inserted into the chamber. and other markings onthe gun
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

44.80 mm (1.764 in) 62.23 mm (2.45 in)

its different to other cartridges

Attached Files:

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Neat lineup. Most of those are not seen very often, if at all. Thanks.

Jim
  6. soundguy

ok.. back to this. been on the back burner.. but my buddy is bugging me about it.

i need to strip the magazine and see why it don't feed.

plus I REALLY need to find out what it is chambered for.

I used a bbl brush to scrub the chamber from t he open bolt.

it will drive a 762x39 home and go into battery.. if you feed it a 762x45 it stops out of battery almost 1/4"

there is a double stamped cal marking on it.. the 7.62 is readable.. but the latter is near unreadable it almost COULD say /39/

from reading up.. a x39 would be more rare.. though extremely ideal i guess.

what about using a soft material for a chamber cast? rtv?

and back tot he mag. the lil tang in the mag that runs in a slotted groove.. the grove is not rectangular.. but a trapezoid as it nears the top of the mag.. thus making the follower drag and tip.. I'm guessing that the mag has been MASHED when removed from t he gun.

the bolt will NOT strip ammo from the mag and feed it.

the ears on top of the mag look peculiarly bent and rounded down way more so than an ak or ar mag.

still would like opinions or comments...
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It sounds like you have a messed up magazine.

On the bolt, when you say "it stops out of battery" do you mean the bolt carrier won't close when the round is loaded normaly or are you putting the cartridge into the chamber by hand and it is sticking out at the back?

Jim
  8. soundguy

i've tried it both ways. I've jimmied the magazine with a cartridge 'ready' to be stripped, so that the bolt can actually strip one out ( normally it won't.. mag needs some real work on it. ).

ine either case..If i feed a cartridge in by hand to the chamber and then try to let the bolt close, or letting the bolt close with a mag in and the cartridge to be stripped setting on top, etc.. it will go into battery with x39.. ie, bolt closes fully... with a x45, she stops short of going into battery.. bolt won't close and cartridge stops shy of entering chamber by? a lil less than 1/4 inch, eyeballing it .

somehting weird going on with this gun.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a LOT where converted to the x39 so the sticking out 1/3" would be spot on

i thought the x 39 rifles had a mag with a U shaped spacer that held the rounds to the rear

mine all went to the gov here 17 years ago or so
  10. soundguy

i'm really thinking this rifle is 762x39.. however it's so darn hard to play with with the mag beig f-ed up.

i've considered taking a 762x39 NEW brass cartridge from walmart, pullingthe bullet and maybee putting a wax plug in and manually loading that one into the chamber and then firing it.

if it is larger than the x39, it would fireform and the bras should show that...

but the 'safe' person in me hasn't signed off on that expirement yet.. especially with somebody else's rifle.. :)
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

On the chambering, note that the bolt face is countersunk so that it will work with a cartridge that sticks out of the chamber 1/8 inch or so. That is why a 7.62x39 won't extract - it drops in with the head flush with the end of the barrel and there is no way the extractor can grip it. But the longer round should not protrude any more than the depth of the countersink. Is it possible there is something in the chamber preventing full seating of the 45mm round?

Jim
  12. soundguy

if there is something in the chamber I can't see it.. I have run a brush from muzzle all the way thru into open breech area cleaning her up, so the bore itself is open,

looking from the muzzle, of course can only see tunnel vision and see the bolt face if I have it closed mostly and a led lamp in the mag well.

can't get a clear vie from open bolt or mag well to see into chamber. Ie.. maybee there is the mouth of a old cartridge in there.. maybee? that would sure prevent the x45 from going into battery.. but still let it swallow the x39

that's why I was thinking of a chambercast with a soft material like rtv or cureing type caulk-like stuff.

if i get a chance tonight i'll look at it some more. if i can get the camera from the wife i'll take a pic of it eating a x39 and an x45.. the mag is a problem.. but not the main one ironically.. i do know a x45 just barely fits the mag ( does fit.. tight though )
  13. soundguy

bare with me guys. i'm a collector and just now into reloading this year.. not a gunsmith by any means.. so I know i'm not explaining this stuff like you guys are probably needing to hear to make best guesses .. etc.
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

For a chamber cast use either cerrosafe (from Brownells) or sulfur. Anything else will mess things up and be hard to clean out.

Jim