Vz-61 Scorpion

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Enzo_Guy, May 19, 2007.

1. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I was at a gun store with my father tonight, now instead of the Walther P99 we went in to buy he saw a VZ-61 Scorpion and is obsessed beyond belief! It carried a $2000 price tag, which makes me think it was semi-auto (the clerk was busy refitting the bolt to an M4 and could not be bothered for questions). First of all, I thought that by Maryland's laws this was an assault pistol and illegal. And if that is not the case, where can I find a full-auto and what is the average price?
    I'm trying to get a feel for the prices of both the full and semi auto versions of this gun so I can give the numbers to my father before he goes off the deep end and just buys it!
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

For $2000 I can guarantee you it wasn't full auto. The very cheapest full auto in the market is a MAC-10 and they run at least $3,100 minimum
    The Cheapest actual rifle type full auto is a Ruger AC556 and they run north of $5,500. Their is a very slim chance that their are any legal full auto VZ-61 in the U.S..
    In 1934 they started the first machine gun bill which said their is a $200 tax stamp on all NFA transfers and it also stopped the importation of machine guns. In 1986 the second machine gun bill said that from this date on any machine gun is going to be Law Enforcement Only with the exception of Class III dealers. So unless someone domestically made and registered a VZ-61 receiver and sear, Or just a sear. Their will be no full auto ones for civilians
  3. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

The other idea he has in his head now is buying the Scorpion and (legally, mind you, the ATF is no agency I would like to play in gray areas with) convert it into a fully automatic weapon. If he was to do this, would it be considered a post-86 gun, even if the receiver was manufactured before '86?
  4. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

The Skorpion is not a rifle-like sub gun. It is literally a machine-pistol.

I was surprised when I saw Skorpions being used in Stargate Atlantis as the weapons of the bad guys this last Friday.

Think of something a tanker could carry on his hip that would provide full-auto capability if he had to bail.
  5. Tac

Tac *TFF Admin*

If I remember right, Scorpion semi-auto versions
    were mfg'd and for sale in the 80's and early 90's.
    They were pretty chcheep looking and low priced
    as well.
  6. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG New Member

They are also currently imported 100% Czech made in the way below $1000 range.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/

Probably the highest quality Skorp ever to reach the US.
  7. tntrucker

tntrucker New Member

I've seen semi-auto Scorpians on the web for under 600 bucks.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Enzo_ Guy, You have 131 post so you are not a novice to the forum, you must know that by { even if it was possible, which it is not } converting the gun to full auto is worth 10 years in Club Fed. No it doesn't matter if the receiver was made in 1901.:eek: