VZ24 from Century is lousy...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

K75RT
    (8/18/02 10:59:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All VZ24 from Century is lousy...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I ordered a second VZ24 as they went on sale , 79.87 for one in very good condition. When I opened the box I saw a stock that was dinged and dented and even has a crack behind the tang, the bluing is fine. I removed the bolt and looked down the barrel, it appeared dark and rusty. Sure enough, when I ran the patch down the bore it came out with no grease and red rust on the patch. I've had good luck with Century in the past but I've never asked to send anything back. I don't know who does their grading but this one definitely failed as the bore and the crack would lead me to rate it as fair at best. I'll keep the board posted as to Century's customer service.
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/18/02 12:23:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: VZ24 from Century is lousy...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good luck on dealing with Century. I personally have nothing to do with them after they screwed me on a deal, then got real nasty when I complained. Ever since they relocated from Vermont to Florida, they have gotten real crappy.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

K75RT
    (8/19/02 6:41:34 pm)
    Bob,
    Today I had the task of sending the rifle back to CIA; I got the Return Authorization # and then carefully boxed the rifle up. I drove 20 miles to the nearest UPS depot and was met by an uninformed arrogant counter person. I went in and filled out the new computerized form and then I went to the counter. The person asked me for a copy of my license. I told her that I did not need to show her a copy and that I legally can ship the rifle to a FFL for repair, replacement, etc. She was determined and she said if you don't have a license you can not ship the rifle. I had a copy of the license and showed it to her....she didn't even know what she was looking at! I said to her before I left that I think she was misinformed...she became upset and stated that her boss told her only licensed individuals can ship firearms. I told her I would rectify the problem through her management system. Sure enough when I got home I called UPS and asked to speak with someone about shipping a rifle. Long story short they called the arrogant B**tch and her Supervisor and informed them that it IS legal to ship a firearm to a licensed dealer. What a fun day! I'll let you know how the replacement rifle and bayonet are...oh yeah, I sent a bayonet back too, it was supposed to be good condition, it was severely pitted and the tip was broken off!
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

stan741
    (8/19/02 9:53:54 pm)
    All the distributors should GIVE YOU a VZ24 just to get you to buy the ammo_Only 1 in a great many is worth messing with.
    The more I listen, the more I hear......and vice versa.

Ltblue425
    (8/20/02 9:21:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Century customer service
    Hope your customer service experience is better than mine recently. They can get so upset over the smallest remarks. Last fall I jokingly said that Century should move to South Dakota. Rep: WHY ???? Me: there's very high per capita number of gun nuts who'd love to be paid work around guns, they have a superb work ethic, most of them are courteous, they work for lower wages plus honesty is expected. Rep: (loooonngggg pause) Well I don't see any reason for moving!! He seemed to be offended. At the time I was not ticked off but now I would really mean it. After my last go-round with that outfit I'm convinced Century Arms attitude is the opposite of the attitude in South Dakota. Coles and AIM will get more business in the future.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/21/02 2:32:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Century customer service
    Welcome to TFF, nice to see another South Dakotan

Look out you Texicans we are taking over.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/21/02 2:39:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Century customer service
    Pig, it just seems like a lot to you.....cause you only have two fingers and one toe.

K75RT
    (9/15/02 4:59:46 pm)
    I received the shipping order , my replacement VZ-24 and bayonet should be here tomorrow, 9-16-02. Century has been less than helpful, I've had to call 3 times to ask when my replacement order would be shipped. They've had my $ since early August. I emailed and received replies that the order would be sent "soon". On Thursday, I called and was polite but firm requesting that I wanted an answer when my order would be shipped. I was notified on Friday that it was shipped.
    I told the CSR that I was not impressed with the tactics of CIA, however I'd reserve judgement until the replacement order was received.

K75RT
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/16/02 3:52:36 pm)
    I received the rifle today, it sucks, for lack of a better adjective. Again the rifle is rated at VG I'd rate it at fair. The bore is dark and extremely worn, the wood is gouged and the top barrel wood doesn't match the stock. The bolt is gray and the bolt shroud is lightly pitted. I waited one month to receive the same junk! I called Century and explained my situation, they would have refunded me my money. I'll keep the rifle for the action....maybe a future project. I understand that a surplus rifle is a surplus rifle, however when one is advertised as being in VG condition and it isn't then the replacement one is as bad as the first, perhaps Century needs a better grading system. The woman I talked to at Century told me to fax my shipping receipt to them and they'd reimburse me for the shipping. She was pleasant and she listened. I am not impressed with Century Arms at the present time, think I'll spend my money with other C&R dealers...

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/16/02 8:04:08 pm)
    Exactly why I don't deal with Century anymore. I got some pretty nice VZ24s from SOG. They actually did rate as very good.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

K75RT
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/16/02 9:04:09 pm)
    Bob,
    I will not buy from Century anymore. I got screwed on the rifle but for the price I did get a decent action! I guess that is one way to look at it! Live and learn, forgive but never forget.
    I have 3 Turks coming from SOG, I've been very pleaed with SOG. I ordered one of the #5 Jungle Carbines and the bore is shiny and the wood is nice, that is a VG rifle!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/16/02 11:22:24 pm)
    I've only bought UFIXEMS from Century and expected cracked crap and SOMETIMES I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course I now have a whole collection of stripped barreled actions that will cost more than VG complete ones to fix up, but in the process ended up with a couple of nice rifles.

I still never figured out why most of the decent stuff I've bought from AIM and SOG are stamped "CIA..." but when you buy the same stuff direct from CIA you get crap...makes no sense.
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/17/02 5:31:16 am)
    Polishshooter - that is what I have discovered over the past 10 years - Century sells the best stuff in lots to the other distributors, and sells the left over crap to the C&R guys. These VZ24 rifles are a good example - the hand picked from SOG are pretty nice - and I bet if you compared it to the crud from Century, it is far and away better - but guess who's import stamp is on it?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules