Waaazzzzaaaaap! Need gift idea for grandma!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by idsman75, Dec 17, 2004.

1. idsman75

idsman75 New Member

Okay....it's that time of year where I totally rack my brain for grandma. She has a small place that she rents in kind of a gated community for the elderly. She's got a really nice pad but she doesn't have room for the big stuff and she's probably the most selfless person I know so she won't tell me what she would like for Christmas. I hate asking that question. She knits and crochets a LOT but that's all I know. She is a woman of deep faith and is quite a bit more "religious" than I am. I bought her a new Bible like my GIANT print NIV Bible last year so she has that. She's definitely not into guns but she likes it when I bring her venison. I'm taking over some salamis and dried venison sandwich meat this year in addition to whatever I buy for her Christmas present. I'm about to head over to the mall and try to decide on something nice but will probably go home empty-handed again.

Any suggestions for a quiet humble has-everything kind of grandma would be appreciated.

Oh yeah...gotta make this gun related. I'm going to the sporting goods store afterwards to make another layaway payment on a new gun!
  2. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Do you know where she shops?

My best advice is to check out the dry goods store where she buys her knitting supplies and ask the clerk there. If they have no definite suggestions, then maybe a gift certificate for some yarn ?
  3. Fep1990

Fep1990 New Member

Re: Do you know where she shops?

I realize you are a very busy man with the job that you have, but how about the idea of you picking her up one day/evening and taking her out to a nice dinner or other outing. Get her out for a day and just let papmer her! Or better yet, you say she is deeply religious, possibly call the church she attends and ask some of her friends form there....possibly she is in a women's bible study. The folks there would probably know herlikes and disklikes and/or needs than anyone else
  4. Redneck

Redneck New Member

I started buying my grandmother gift certificates for her favorite restaraunt and the grocery store, unless she is a good liar I think she appreciates that more than a Clapper or Salad Shooter :D
  5. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Was gonna suggest one of those new Gizmo jar openers...but if she knits, I'm sure her fingers are fairly strong and nimble.

Perhaps taking her to dinner one evening would be nice...spend some quality time with her.

John
  6. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

the gizmo is a good idea if she doesnt already have 1. i was originally gonna suggest a gift certificate for the yarn tho.

we're getting my grandmother a gift certificate for a body massage. :)
  7. idsman75

idsman75 New Member

Hey! Fill me in on the Gizmo! Grandma does a LOT of canning! I bought her three cases of canning and jelly jars last year. I don't know anything about this "Gizmo" but a link to a website or a place where they sell it would be helpful!
  8. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

9. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

10. mrs njretcop

mrs njretcop New Member

Try a gift certificate for getting her hair done or nails done. Take her out to eat at a "fancy" restaurant. Spend extra time with her. :)
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Your grandma will like whatever you give her simply because it came from you, but I have found that what older people appreciate most is just having someone spend time with them. Taking her out to eat is a good idea. Give her "gift certificates", each good for one hour worth of chores, things that she may not be able to do herself, such as washing windows or cleaning the oven.

Simple things are always good too. Put together a box with envelopes, a roll of stamps, pens, paper clips, etc to help with bill-paying. If she has out-of-town family and/or friends, a prepaid phone card would give her the opportunity to call them. How about a pretty basket to hold her needlework?

One more idea is the Bible on cassette tapes or CDs. She can listen to the Bible being read while she does her needlework.