Waiting to be a Re-loader

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by sorral, Mar 16, 2010.

1. sorral

sorral New Member

I finally did it. I ordered a Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit online last night. I am tired of not being able to find ammo, or it being priced so high that I can not afford it. I am going to join the realm of the re-loader.

I ordered a bunch of extras for the kit; primer feeders, dies, case tumbler and media, I read some reviews of it, and saw what others said they had to get to make it work properly, and added those items to my order. Now I just have to find what componants are available in my area and what loads are available for those componants. I am loading .45 ACP and .223 for my AR.
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

Did you get "The ABCs of Reloading", or "Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook", or "Lee's Modern Reloading"? When learning to reload you need to cover the wheres, whatfors, and whys of each step in the process. Reloading is a lot of fun and rewarding, but it can be dangerous if done carelessly. Go slow, check everything, check again, and enjoy...
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Welcome to the club! As long as you are careful, you will never regret your decision to reload. Even when/if commercial ammo becomes plentiful & cheap again, you will still have the ability to produce variations which are simply not available "over the counter".

This is probably getting off-topic, but if your .45 is a M1911, buying a .22 conversion unit is another way to get some cheap "trigger time" and develop a feel for the gun.
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

be carefull .... its quite addicting!!!! enjoy!
  5. Junco1

Junco1 New Member

I just started reloading myself and read "Lee's Modern Reloading". I found it to be really good because I purchaced Lee equipment. The book goes over all the proper steps to reload with thier equipment. Everything else was based on using thier equipment too. So for me, since everything I have is Lee, it worked. Now it sits right on my reloading bench for quick referance and I use it frequently. Have fun and be safe.
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Along side a reloading manual, the Audette Ladder Test is the cheapest and most trustworthy way to develop accurate loads.

Stay safe!
  7. DARIN

DARIN New Member

Hello and congrats on your soon to be favorite hobby!!

There are a few comments here instructing you to purchase books to help you with your loads...great idea and a MUST! I wouldn`t say to you, "Buy 3 or 4 books" I would say to you, "Buy a book" to begin with that covers hundreds or thousands of loads and procedures. My favorite, if I had to choose one book, would be the "Sierra Rifle and Handgun Reloading Data 5th Edition". This book is simply awsome. It covers each caliber with an introduction including details of it`s history to present date, detailed info on reloading equipment & procedures, powder burn ratios, a detailed reloading process to go by, gas gun reloading information for semi-auto`s and military rifles, ballistic coefficients, exterior ballistics including trajectory chart how to`s, and rifle and handgun care. I don`t load shotgun shells because it`s not economically feasible so maybe someone else can help you there. I have been reloading for around 15 years and I will tell you that there`s a new surprise around every corner...LOL.

Please be very careful with this responsibilty because there have been many accidents along with a ton of ruined firearms due to mistakes in reloading. Reloading is very fun but remember that the reloader takes full responsibility for his/her loads. So follow the directions very carefully, print out a measurement chart for the calibers you will be loading so that you can keep the brass and completed bullet within specs, carefully weigh your powder loads, measure your brass with a micrometer, check your brass for small dents, scratches, or any other signs of wear, constantly weigh your powder loads, use your resizing lube, clean the primer seats well, weigh your powder loads ;) and for goodness sakes...DO NOT get in a hurry!
    I am posting a picture of the wall above my reloading table below and a picture of what your reloading area shouldn`t look like...LOL Really it`s my small indoor table after a 2 hour session...:D

Enjoy!!... and constantly check the weight of your powder loads! :pLOL

Attached Files:

8. sorral

sorral New Member

Thanks for all the advise. I am going to purchase a reloading manual today to start reading up on the process. I also have a friend who has been reloading for almost 20 years coming to help me set up my press and show me the basics. I am also going to put a lot of load data on the computer in my garage (that is were my press will be set up) so I can pull up data any time it is needed.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

WTF!!! DARIN, you appear to have grabbed my workdesk by mistake;)
  10. DARIN

DARIN New Member

Glad somebody got it! LOL
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Mines prolly a tad worse than yours... I need to reorganize:eek:
  12. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Darin,I couldn.t help noticing the pipe wrench in the photo.For removing dies i suppose? By the way, your bench is more organized than mine.I just can't seem to keep it clean.Joe
  13. sewerman

sewerman New Member

welcome to the reloader world.

i jumped off the cliff a year or more ago and have not regretted it one bit.
    as with gun folk you will meet nice people willing to help out as you explore & learn your way through the hobby.

without reloading i would never have been able to shoot so much and since doing so i have inspired one of my range partners to begin reloading after several years of absence form the hobby.

sewerman
  14. sorral

sorral New Member

I finally got all the componants to reload for my 16Ga. I loaded up 10 rounds last night, and am waiting for the weekend to test fire them. (hope I do not blow up!)
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

sorral
    go get em, blast away. I hope you have good luck finding components for metallic reloading.

DARIN

If my bench looked that neat at the start of a session I wouldn't know what to do.