1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Wal-Mart No Service

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Diamondback, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback Well-Known Member

If this is too off the wall please delete. Tonight I went to wally world to buy a couple of tires. I got the tires and was told that they would not mount one of them because I was missing a couple of lug bolts on one of my hubs. This, I was told, was for my protection and that they were only looking out for my safety. I was offered the opportunity to take my car outside, 30 degrees with a 15mph wind, remove the the wheel my self and they would then install the new tire on my rim and I could go back outside and put it back on my car. The only thing they are worried about is any remote possibility that they might be held liable if something happened. Instead it is perfectly alright to let me drive off with one new tire and a bald tire with a slipping steel belt.

HOORAY for corporate entities who are so very conserned with their customers 'safety'. I have sworn to never darken a Wal-Mart door again in whatever time I have left.
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No.....Corporate entities, who provide most of the jobs in this country, who are scared to death of the Personal Injury lawyers, who will go for a class action lawsuit. This is totally supported by the democrats who benefit immensely for the support of the Trail Lawyers (aka. Ambulance Chasing Personal Injury Lawyers....who by the way only eliminate jobs, not create new jobs).
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

I can't blame them.
    If something were to happen due to that wheel, and you have a receipt saying they did the work, they could be held libel.
    I wouldn't have done it either, sorry. Too many hungry lawyers out there.

Art
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If I was running the garage, I'd have told you that there were lugs missing, and if you wished me to install a tire, I would also have to install new lugs. That would be, maybe another couple of bucks each. They didn't make that offer?
  5. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

They also refuse to change your oil if you have an oil leak.
    This apparently so no one can claim their engine was damaged by Wal Mart's work.
  6. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

My only question is why are driving a car with bald tires and missing lug nuts in the first place?
  7. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I'm w/ Alpo..... why didn't they just sell you a few new lugs?

OR

You have 3 other wheels.... right? Why not pull 1 lug from each wheel to make 5 on the wheel in question so there wouldn't be an issue. Then, down the road, you could find a real tire shop who could sell you a few new lugs.... :confused:.

I stopped buying from walfart long ago..... they're too rude & everything they sell comes from china or Mexico. :mad:

SR
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

oh Oh OH...... i've been waiting for a post from one of you guys!!!!

Here is a suggestion.... the duct tape that you have holding your hood down....use the rest of the roll and wrap it around the tire to prolong the tires life! :D:D:D:D

If you have a tube of silicone then squirt that on the roughest tire spots before applying the tape.....

Come to think of it...since you drive that kind of car....do you work for walmart???? :D:D:D:D
    Cause i mean middle managment at wallyworld usually drive those kinds of cars...unlike the run of the mill employee who is to poor to afford a car. And if they do manage to own a car they usually drive without insurance. It comes in handy to have a coworker who does have insurance to drive behind them real close like so "the fuzz" cannot see their plates that expired 2 years ago..... :D:D:D:D

Yup....as a former walmart TLE greeter..... HIT THE ROAD JACK!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mann that felt goooood. LOL

seriously, if the car is not in perfect condition it is a liability to work on. Pure and simple.

Gn
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

ARE YOU SURE that you would want the average wallyworld TLE technician installing new lug nuts???? :D

Walmart TLE is a band aid station. Why do people insist on believing that they should be a full service repair shop??

I mean...have you SEEN the hung over TLE technician? Some guy named "Hubba" that was tatoes all over his face.... :D
    Alot of them dont speak inglish and are often anti social. And the TLE greeter/writers...oh, dont even get me started on that one..... LOL

mike
    Gn
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

The wallyworld down here never refused an oil change based on a leak. But they would refuse to do an oil change on a vehicle that has zero oil on the dipstick and maybe two drops in the oil pan! If the customer wanted to sign a wavier then they would do the oil change....or should i say...they would put some oil in the engine..... :D

There was one lady with a ford diesel that was smoking bad enough to provide cover for marines storming a beach somewhere and it was knocking like it was about to throw a rod... klunk klunk klunk bang bang... and she had the gaul to insist there was absolutely nothing wrong with her truck. HOW DARE WE REFUSE TO SERVICE HER PORECIOUS TRUCK..... :D

Get real.

I dont like walmart either but dang....i dont think they have any obligation to get suckered into buying a new engine for crooks.

And why in the heck do these people insist on going to wallyworld when other places are cheaper?
    Hibdons is allmost allyways cheaper...yet these people looking for freebies keep flocking to walmart. Weird. Just plain weird.

Mike
    Gn
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

They don't want it to come back on them if something happened. I wouldn't want the liability either.
  12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

They also won't mount tires of two different speed ratings, even if both are wildly above the ratings expected for highway use. A lot of car enthusiasts have been turned off by this. They're SERIOUSLY worried about liability, to a fault. And by the way, considering that most manufacturers make a special tire (or really anything) for WalMart that they don't sell elsewhere, I'm going to stay away from there for my vehicle's needs.
  13. topper

topper New Member

Half of the old pickups I see have a few lugnuts missing and almost all have bald tires. In this economy, one cannot worry about trivials when we are trying to make a living first. Most of my farmer friends have trucks that I wonder how they even pass state inspection and they are used everyday on the road.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

He didn't say missing "lug nuts". Read the post again. Missing lug BOLTS. As in, broken off. The broken stubs need to be punched out and new ones put in. Not hard to do, but it is needed for safe use.

I remember, one time, the guy at the gas station trying to convince my Daddy that it was perfectly safe with four (after he had wrung one off installing the new tire, using too much torque on his air hammer). Daddy told him that if Ford thought it was safe with four, they would not have spent the extra money to put five on there, and to replace the broke one.

I also remember, that same station. I took my car in for an oil change. The bill was 40 or 50 bucks. Heap of money (I was 17, and making $2.00 an hour). I called Daddy, and he came down. Daddy asked 'em, "Did he ask for a lube job, the oil changed in the differential, the oil changed in the transmission and the new air filter?" Well, no, but he needed it all done. "Did he request it?" No. "Okay, here's the $7.95, for the oil change, and thank you for all the free work you did."

Excuse the minor thread drift.
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Like walmart or hate walmart, this is not a specific walmart issue.
    As several have pointed out, this is a LIABILITY issue -
    Walmart is only covering their rear end by refusing to perform work that COULD be blamed for a wreck later, or could simply be the basis of a claim that THEY broke the studs off during the installation.

But there is one aspect of this which a small local shop could decide to do;
    They could LIST, on the receipt in BOLD lettering:
    "This vehicle has two missing lugs on the right rear wheel. The customer was advised of the danger of this, and certifies that he is aware of the risk involved in continuing to drive it this way. At his request, we have eliminated one other risk by replacing the bald tire he was driving on."

I believe that would cover the liability aspect -
    But it is something a mega-giant outfit like Walmart is simply not set up to do.