Walgreen fires employee for using gun to defend...

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by jstgsn, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

http://biggovernment.com/jlott/2011/05/25/hero-gets-fired-for-using-a-gun-to-stop-robbery/

So I saw this and wrote to Walgreens to tell them we don't shop there anymore. Here's their response.

September 16, 2011

Dear Frederick,

"Thank you for contacting Walgreens regarding this matter. Our policies in this area are designed to maintain the maximum safety of our customers and employees.Store employees receive comprehensive training on our company’s robbery procedures and how to react and respond to a potential robbery situation. In past incidents, employees have told us they’ve found this training effective.These policies and training programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects.Compliance is safer than confrontation. Through this practice, we have been able to maintain an exemplary record of safety.We’ve made significant investments in security technology in recent years, including increasing the number of digital surveillance cameras at our stores.With upgrades to security technology, we are able to provide police with high-resolution photographs and video of crime suspects.We continue to invest in state-of-the-art security measures and high-definition surveillance equipment and hope that the apprehension of robbery suspects in the Benton Harbor area will prevent future crimes. Thank you for contacting Walgreens to share your comments."

Sincerely,

Barbara S
    Consumer Response Representative

BULL FEATHERS (my response)
  2. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

Walgreens is about to lose my business, between this and the diabetic they just fired for eating a snack during business hours so they wouldn't have a hypoglycemic seizure.
    We just had one of these recently in Sacramento, but the pharmacy tech hasn't been fired as far as I know.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The way I see it, Hoven, the pharmacist that was fired, did the right thing. However, he also knew store policy, and should not expected less than being fired by the Co. he worked for. The National Crime Victimization Survey shows that defending oneself with a gun is by far the safest course of action when one is confronted by a robber. For example, people who protect themselves with a gun are injured in robberies about 8 percent of the time, but those who behave passively are injured by the criminals 24 percent of the time, a three times higher rate. Pizza Hut fired me for having a gun while on the clock. I knew it their policy, but I did it anyway. Any Co. has the right to say yea, or nay, on haveing a firearm while on the clock, you do work for them, and you must COMPLY. "Compliance is safer than confrontation". I personally don't see things in this light, there are things we should not Comply with!
  4. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Agree totally, I cannot support stores who think with their ass. I wonder how the exec who made the decision to fire him would feel if he was the one on the business end of the thief's gun??
  5. terryu1

That is JUST GREAT. If I ever shopped at Walgreen's I can be comforted that they can identify the person who murders me if I happen to be there during a robbery.
  6. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

good responses, what I expected from this site. Common sense is something you can't buy, but I seemed to have found a site that common sense is a common experience. Thank all of you.
    Last year I was banned from a fishing website for hinting that the webmaster was a communest leftest pinko asshole by saying "gee your comment seems a bit liberal." and was promptly booted. They certainly are touchy.
    As for Walgreens, I can get great prices etc from rite aid.
    Thanks guys,
    have a great weekend.
    fred
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

The company I work for encourages carrying about 7 of the 20 ppl where I work carry daily
  8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Our policy at work is the same as walgreens
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

But it doesn't say anything about my buck knife
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    While I think Walgreens position on Concealed Carry is just totally wrong, it don't matter, cause I'm armed, and I don't work for Walgreens, or Pizza Hut, or anyone else. I carry! If there is no metal dector at the door, I'm armed!
  11. red14

red14 Active Member

I respectfully suggest Walgreens have sexual intercourse with yourself.;):cool:
  12. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where I stand on this. Since I am a firm believer in upholding the 2nd amendment and a firm believer in Conceal/Carry and also a firm believer that I should be aloud to protect myself, my family and my property with a firearm.

I honestly don't think that Walgreens took this decision lightly. Right or wrong I believe they made a decision based on what they thought was the welfare of the corporation.

Here's the problem I have and am pretty sure that this is the situation that Walgreens found itself in: If I work for someone or some compay/corporation, myself and every other employee should be required to follow the rules set by that employer.. If we don't like the rules, we can either try to change them, live with them, or leave the company.

The corporation I work for has a no guns or ammunition policy. If myself or anyone else is caught on company property (including the parking lot) we would be fired immediately. Good or bad, it is a company policy and we are expected to follow it. Some of the rules are first time fireable offenses, this is one of them. So if I am ever caught with a firearem on company premises, I know for a fact I will be fired, no, ifs, ands or buts about it, no matter how strongly I believe in the 2nd amendment. The pharmacist also knew this and chose to carry a firearm to work anyway.

Now, because of the extreme circumstances this employee found himself in, i believe Walgreens could have done something different. They chose the easy route, which was to follow the company policy.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  13. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I despise Walgreens ever since I had one of their Pharmacists flat out lie to me regarding having given me the wrong prescription medication for one of my kids. As I had previously been a Pharmacist, I knew that he was BS'ing andf I called him on it. Fast retreat to the back and came OUT WITH THE CORRECT MEDICATION.

Secondly, their prices are quite high especially on their "house" brands. They make massive margins on the Walgreen's brand.

This last episode with the gun just sealed the deal for me. I'll drive miles to avoid them and go to a competitor.
  14. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

I don't imagine a company like Walgreens is looking for anything other than drones. Just blank faces to run the registers, stock the shelves, and service the bottom line. That letter sure sounds like it.

This all too commonly held idea doesn't take into account the criminal's predatory mindset. It is specifically weakness or "compliance" that the career criminal is looking to exploit.
  15. terryu1

They make policies with lawyers in mind. Unfortunately our system is filled with cases where homeowners are paying huge sums to criminal who hurt themselves breaking into their home. It is really the system that is at fault and not as much the individual stores etc.
  16. n4aof

n4aof New Member

If you want to get banned from a website, try visiting the Official Diamondback Forum and making any comment suggesting that it is more important for a firearms manufacturer to have a quality control program rather than just having a fast turn around time each time you send the gun back for more repairs.