Wally World specials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lead, Oct 18, 2005.

1. lead

lead Active Member

Do the gun companies try out their new models at Wally World before selling them to others? American Rifleman has an article about the Mossberg ATR rifle, like it is new. It's been for sale at Wal-mart for at least a year. Ruger sold their 10-22 with the 22inch barrel at Wal-mart first before it was available to the dealers.
    Do other gun companies give sweetheart deals to Wally, or is this just a way to guage public reaction to a new offering? "If it sells well at Wal-mart, we might offer it in out regular catalog."
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Yes. This is why Wally World is able to drive the mom & pop gun shops out of business. They buy in bulk. Literally, they buy firearms from the manufacturers by the thousands. So they get all kinds of special pricing and offerings that regular gun shops can't. This would include, I presume, first-edition releases of firearms that other gun shops have to wait for.

Putting the mom & pop gun shops out of business like they are doing creates a huge hole in the firearms market, since Wal-Mart is very "generic" on what they carry. It does the entire firearms market a disservice. It's one of the many reasons I despise Wal-Mart and refuse to buy a firearm there (or anything else if I can help it).
  3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Sniper I agree with you completely...........WalMart is bad news:( for the small bussines, luckly in my small town of 60,000 people we have 4 gun shops that are doing very well, and one of them is where i shop for my guns or supplies.....................::::::::::
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I didn't really mean to turn this thread into a Wal-Mart bashing thread, but I think it needs to be said over and over and over again. I see people on this forum praising Wal-Mart all the time, and I usually bite my tongue. But I'm letting it all out here. Wal-Mart is BAD for the firearms market. People are buying firearms there for the sole purpose of saving a few lousy bucks, and in the end everyone will lose. There have been numerous cases of Wal-Mart driving all the local gun shops out of business and then they stop selling firearms at that store. This leaves customers with no other options, and it takes a long time for new shops to come back to the area.

And keep in mind that when New Orleans got flooded and Louisiana residents ran to Wal-Mart to legally purchase firearms for their own defense, Wal-Mart ceased all firearm sales in the area. They are no friend to us.
  5. lead

lead Active Member

Wal Mart's bulk purchasing certainly influences the prices they charge, but then, I've seen similar prices at Bass Pro Shops.
    Mom and Pop shops will always have an advantage in their ability to offer on-site services(scope mounting, simple gunsmithing, cleaning, etc.), and the ability to take trade ins, and offer used guns.
    I just don't see why the firearms industry would favor one big retailer with new models and make the established dealer network wait a year to be able to offer the same thing. Maybe that's why I'm not a businessman(and why I'm broke most of the time!).
  6. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

It's all about marketing, and may very well be part of corporate agreements. If Wal-Mart has a corporate contract with, say, Ruger, then that contract may stipulate that Wal-Mart gets a 6-month or 1-year exclusive right to market new models before they're released to other dealers. It could very well be one of those under-the-table exclusive corporate agreements that Wal-Mart has forced the gun manufacturers into, in order to keep themselves on top of the market.
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I dislike Wal-mart as much as anyone, but lets get it straight. They are not a test market or anything of the such. The Ruger in question and there were several other`s too-----were never meant for dealers other than Wal-Mart. It was designed for their store only and they are not the only ones who cut deals with firearms dealers for special runs!!!. GHEESH!!!!!!!

LTS
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

What this really comes down to is that Wal Mart is on the Dems poop list for being successfull. They see a big fat target when they look at Wal Mart. Alot of Former Gore and Kerry campaigners are leading the attack against the retailer....
    This is my opinion, but i think that is why 1952sniper dislikes Wal Mart. Because right now the liberal dems are making a run on wal mart, and you know those hippies gotta stick together !!!!! :D The next thing you know Huck Finn will be in here bashing wal marts ammo prices, and saying its all Bush's fault and on and on...... :D :rolleyes:

Let her fly !!! I got my Gallager tarp up and am ready.... :D :D :D :D

mike
    gn
  9. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

;) C'mon Mike...
    I don't hate Wal-Mart, that's where I bought all my copies of
    Fahrenheit 911!! ;)
  10. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i cant stand walmart, but i do shop there on occassion. as far as my gun purchases go, i go to my gun shop. :)
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Why does'nt that surprise me ?!! :rolleyes: You do know Michael Moore is a big fat piece of ****** S**t ??!!!

I almost got kicked out of a movie theater when a pre show preview poped up and said something positive about michael moore....
    I guess you're not allowed to stand up and scream HORSE S**T at the top of your lungs in a movie theater ?? :eek: :rolleyes:

mike
    gn
  12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Wal-mart started the decline, but it was Gander Mountain that put the next-to-last gun shop in my town out of business. There's only one left and he's just holding on.....

Worst case, I rather see Gander taking over gun sales. I buy socks at Wal-mart. I don't buy guns at Wallyworld.
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

The small shop that I have used since I moved to Idaho has gone outta bidness.

It was owned by a coupla 30 something guys who are avid hunters and fishermen.

One month business as usual, went in the next month to check on some ammo I had ordered and the shelves were bare and the doors locked tite! I don't have a clue as to what happened.
  14. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Dude , all you have to do is say " WalMart " and it automatically becomes a bash forum . We choose to live in a capitalist society then we bash the people who are successful . Most of our local " mom and pop " gun shops suck . They are arrogant , overpriced , and they blame it on WalMart , Bass Pro shop or the internet . Most of the so called horror stories that you hear or read about WalMart is pure horse s**t . But if you read it on the internet or hear it on ABC or CBS , then it must be true , right ? Believe what you want . Some of us are in a position to know the facts and can only laugh at the ignorant .
  15. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Say somebody buys a gun at Wal-mart. When he needs accesssories (like holsters, cleaning stuff, ammo, etc.) he is more likely to go to the local gun store than back to Wal-mart. The profit margin in gun sales does not match the profit margin in almost anything else in a gun store.

I say let people buy the guns from Wal-mart because they become the future customers of the small gun stores for most everything else.

Wal-mart bashing is a product of the Unions. Here in California the unions do everything possible to make Wal-mart's life miserable. The Unions attack each new store site with environmental lawsuits and anything else they can think of to stop or lengthen the construction, costing Wal-mart millions of dollars. Votes for Unionization at current stores always fail (that is the voice of those who work there!) but the Unions continue to publish low wage stories, sexual discrimination stories, claims of illegal immigrant workers stories, etc. in local papers usually through the opinion pages.

I rarely shop at Wal-mart because it is not convienient, no other reason. I have lost all respect for the Unions with their efforts to break Wal-mart. Their efforts to hurt Wal-mart match the efforts fo the anti-gunners to kill guns and environmentalist---through the courts with frivilous lawsuits and costly delaying tactics. SHAME on anyone that supports the Unions or environmentalist or anti-gunners with these tactics. America is the land of majority rules, not the land of frivilous lawsuits so minority special interest groups get their way. At least that is the way it is suppose to be but these special interest groups are making life tough for the rest of us, the majority.

LDBennett