Walmart Ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamierat, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Jamierat

Jamierat New Member

I was in a cww class and the instructor was telling us that you should never buy your ammo from walmart. He said in particular the winchester white box ammo is the ammo that didn't meet winchesters standard and walmart told them to box it for them and they would carry it ( at a cheaper price of course )

Is any of this true or was he just trying to get everyone to buy from a local gun shop?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I remember my instructors telling me they didn't allow white box ammo for qualification tests, we were to bring a different brand. There was a quality control issue with Winchester, I think, and they didn't trust it in a situation such as CCW class where there may be new shooters.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...must be the "USA" win. brand you all are talking about/?

Hi Pinecone, havent seen you around as of late...good to see you back!
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Hi, it's good to see you too, Zane. :D
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I buy Walmart ammo all the time, including WWB stuff and have never had any problem with any of it. The prices for the same thing in my local gun shops is crazy high. I see the same stuff in the gun shops that is available at the Walmart, so I'm pretty sure they buy their supplies of ammo at Walmart and then just mark it up a bunch. :confused:

If you want to really get good deals on ammo, buy it on-line and have it shipped directly to your door. Even with shipping (often can be found with free shipping), it's still cheaper. You may need to buy more than just one box of ammo on-line to make it worthwhile, but it's really the best way to go. ;)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

I've heard the Wal-Mart/Winchester WB story several times. Does anyone have any real paper trails on this, or is it an urban ammo myth?

I've shot plenty of it (.45 ACP, .38, 9mm) with no problemos. I just checked several ammo suppliers online and they all appear to carry Winchester White Box.

The only centerfire ammo I take issue with is Wolf, because it left the guts of my 1911 looking like the inside of an old car muffler. Bought 300 rounds of it last year at a gun show, and finally finished it off last week.
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think the white box problem was a limited run of bad ammo. Personally, I have not had trouble with any Winchester rounds.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If I buy ammo for plinking, it's the WWB at Wal Mart. I have never had an issue with it. This has go to be one of those urban internet myths.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

OK here are my questions.

1. Why would Wal-mart buy a known inferior product?

2. Why is wal-mart so evil?

3. Has anyone ever seen hard proof that this is happening?

I would think that the thousands of lawyers Walmart has on staff would urge them to not buy ammo that didn't pass QA/QC. That is opening wal-mart to a HUGE law suite.

If walmart is evil because of all the Chinese made products. I want you to look at the PC or MAC you are reading this post on. Find 1 thing that says MADE in the USA on it. That cell phone you complain about having, made in china, i bet you there are Chinese parts in your so called American made cars and trucks.

Things are made in china because they can meet the specs and do it for cheap. There is junk made in china just like there is junk made here in the USA. Has anyone ever shot a Lorcin pistol? I had one when I was young and stupid. I needed a centerfire pistol for the house and that was all I could afford. That gun was better as a paper weight than it ever was as a pistol. It would jam ever 3 round no matter what every time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

This has happened before with ammo in different boxes. Sometimes a stroy hits the wall and sticks thus getting spread around.

BTW the white box ammo is racist. :D:D:D:D
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

:lmao2::lmao2:

I demand yellow box, red box, and black box ammo!!!
  12. Zane71464

Ive bought the Win. USA ammo from walleyworld and at gun shops in .375 mag and 9mm and havent ever had any problems.
  13. Zane71464

..and .38 special
  14. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

no problems here with their ammo.
  15. H-D

H-D Active Member

My guns have all ran the wwb it runs as good as any other , kinda dirty but I have a cleaning kit