Walnut and comet cleanser in tumbler

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

You know there will always be people with a negitive response to everything new anyone tries. If they don't think of it first it must be a really bad idea. Personally I don't suck up or kiss ass, I just do my own thing.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i do get his point. in a room full of 20 people.. there will be at least 21 opinions of what's right.

some of them may be in close agreement.

some ay be factually correct. some may be factually wrong.

some may deal in minutia.

rarely are all accepted...

I've seen a near dupe thread on a 'way to do things' posted, here, a few months apart, and seen DRASTICALLY different comments as to what 'should be' done. ( not made up.. !! )

go figure ;)
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Deacon_Man:

My comment was not "not invented here" but a safety reminder. If you choose to risk your life over shinny cases that's your business but I will step forward to warn others that there may be a safety issue using chemicals not on the recommended list of cleaning methods by cartridge case makers.

This is not painting or baking a cake but containing pressure up to 65,000 psi.

LDBennett
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like the stainless pins idea.. but damn look at the friggin price! :eek:
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

never replace them i suspect though?
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Deacon,
    While I agree that there is more than one way to skin this cat, I concur 100% with LD. Thus the reason for my post above.

You don't need to be a full-blown professional metalurgist or chemist to try out new stuff, but please use a bit of due diligence and research (and a bit of "googling" for MSDS sheets or possible reactions doesn't hurt either).
  8. mikld

mikld Active Member

If you choose to use Comet, rinse them real good before further processing. Abrasives and chemicals in the Comet prolly arent any good for brass or dies or gun chambers...

Personally, I won't go to much more trouble than plain corn cob or walnut for media, and I won't get excited about anybody that does. My brass is clean, somewhat shiny but doesn't shoot 1/10 minute of angle better than dull brass. My dies will last longer than me, prolly. I don't need to impress anybody at the range with my ultra shiny, glossy ammo, I know how good it is and usually I'm the only one to see it. I haven't cleaned a handgun case's primer pocket in nearly 25 years, just ain't necessary, so I have little or no intrest in dropping over $200 to get started cleaning with SS pins.

I can remember when real shooters' brass was mostly dull (reloaders mostly, before tumblers/shiny brass became a necessity) and usually the only folks using shiny, virgin looking brass were cops and new shooters...:D
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  9. dayooper

dayooper New Member

I have a strong background in chemistry and this advice is well taken. Likewise, you should also avoid ammonia-based products like Brasso which will also weaken the cases. I've used a few squirts of Soft Scrub mixed into 5 lbs of media with good results. The label indicates none of the toxic ingredients mentioned above.

I also read an article recommending a few tablespoons of Bon Ami mixed into tumbling media with good results. Bon Ami is bio-degradable, contains no toxic ingredients, and is guaranteed not to scratch any surface. I'm going to give it a try.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im very ceriously trying to justify 250 bucks for a stainless pin kit.. Maybe put my krinker plinker on hold
  11. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

What kills it for me is the extra work with the drying time and all that. Mine come out looking like new on the outside in 1.5 hours with 50/50 walnut/corn cob and half a cap full of Nu Finish car polish and I only have around 4 minutes of hands on time for 600 to 900 cases. When they come out they are ready to load..
  12. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I am a sucker for shiney cases.....

This is why I like nickle plated brass. It always comes out looking like factory new ammo. All I do is run it in walnut shells for a couple of hours with a cap full of newfinish car wax.
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ya I agree. I run mine just long enough to clean them up so they function smoothly and that is it.
  14. Airdale

Airdale Member

Josh,

My wife has a small tumbler from Harbor Freight for her jewlery work. She uses the steel pins. I gave her a handfull of 9mms to clean and polish after reading this thread as a test. The results were great after only an hour of tumbling. Her little three pound unit would limit capacity. I asked her how many she thought it would do at a time and she guessed about 75. They do have a double drum unit. But hey I can give up capacity if I can save $.

This unit is on sale for $39.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html

The double drum is on sale for $49.99.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

I think to get them really pristine an hour and a half would be perfect. The unit is quiet, the media is clean and lasts forever. What's not to like?
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I've got one of those rotary rock tumblers and was thinking about buying the refill kit for the pins and trying that. I don't know, I'll probably just keep going with the vibratory and have brass that's clean enough and ready right out of the cleaner.