walter ppk info???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by alenla, Oct 5, 2012.

1. alenla

alenla New Member

I have a Walter PPK 32ACP. I bought the gun at a shop many years ago. Gun came with white plastic grips, and magazine with a brown finger extension. Any information such as date, markings, value is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Serial #842624

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It is a prewar RZM PPK, at least the slide is. I don't believe the grips are original and need to see pictures of the right side. If everthing else checks out, even with the grips, it is a rare firearm worth perhaps in the 4 figures. If we can get some of the knowledge Walther perple on board here maybe we can get more info.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. alenla

alenla New Member

here are the pics of the right side of the gun. Thank you for the info.

Attached Files:

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, we need the pros for this one, every thing looks correct except for the grips ( the original go for over 300 ). I can not make out the marking on the barrel, the proof should be a crown over an N, but I see a 4 pointed star over an eagle. Walther used a 4 pointed star for in house markings on police and military guns, so don't know. Lets see see if we can get the pros from Dover, Hey guys, climb on.:)
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The marking is poorly stamped, but it is a crown/N, the standard commerical Nitro (smokeless powder proof of the period. The serial number dates to 1935.

The grips appear to be American, probably Franzite.

FWIW, that stamp is not actually on the barrel, but on the part of the receiver into which the barrel is inserted. There should be a similar mark on the barrel itself right at the muzzle end.

The RZM, Reichszeugmeisterei, which translates roughly as National Quartermaster, was the supply service for the Nazi part and its various organizations. It sold all kinds of clothing and equipment to the party faithful, with profits going to the party (or to high ranking officials). It was a big organization, large enough to have companies, like Walther, make specially marked goods for it. The national headquarters was in Munich but there were regional stores around Germany.

Jim
  6. alenla

alenla New Member

never noticed the markings on the barrels end , but there they are. It just gets more interesting. Thanks guys

Have only fired the gun twice. The hammer is weak causes the gun to misfire. Anyone knows of a good gunsmith that might clean the gun and fix this problem. I live in California.

Attached Files:

7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Now I can clearly see the crown , oh well. at least that part is correct.
  8. SSMN

SSMN Member

You will need to find the last three digits of the serial number inscribed inside the slide to confirm that the frame and slide belong together as manufactured.
  9. alenla

alenla New Member

In what location inside the slide would the last three numbers of the serial number be found. ??
  10. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

This gun should have another Crown/N proofmark directly underneath the one on the right chamber - stamped on the right side of the slide.
    This one does not have - which means it was refinished at one point...most likely a long time ago, judging by the amount of wear it has.
  11. alenla

alenla New Member

Cannot find any numbers inside the slide. Twenty yeas ago I was looking to purchase a see camp 32. I saw this Walter and bought it. I was looking at the slide underneath the ejection port with a magnifying glass to see if I could find any traces of a mark and there are not any.

Attached Files:

12. SSMN

SSMN Member

You might need to use an artificial light, turn the slide to just the right angle in order to find them. You might be looking right at them and not recognize them. The attached exanple will give you an idea. The title says "etched" but they are scribed or scratched.

Attached Files: