Walter PPK Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by walterg3, Mar 27, 2010.

1. walterg3

walterg3 New Member

You guys really know your guns. I have had all kinds of number quoted for this piece. I'd really like to hear from someone knowledgeable.
    Thanks!
    Walter

Attached Files:

• 200.JPG
      200.JPG
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
    • 201.JPG
      201.JPG
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
    • 204.JPG
      204.JPG
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You've got a nice pre 1945 Walther there, but in order to come up with we need a photo of all the markings on the left side in a size that it can be read. this will tell us if it is commercial, military, police, etc.
  3. Danny

Danny Member

Hello Walter,
    Your pistol was manufactured at mid war, 1942 to be exact. From looking at it ,I see no special markings on it , so it is a common PPK. That is not to say it was not used in the war. About 3/4s of the Walther PPK"s & PP" that I have seen were bought by the officers, as the military did not buy them for their soldiers. However Hitler provided them with universal health care called ObamaCare.LOL.
    But really U have a nice collector grade firearm & in my opinion 800 to 1000 is the value set by me. Maybe more to the right collector, as these pistols are drying up in supply. Hope this helps you?
    Kind Regards
    Danny:)
  4. SSMN

SSMN Member

Walter,
    Would the serial number happen to be marked on the magazine baseplate?
  5. John59

John59 New Member

Hi im new to this forum, I have a Walther PPK It says: Waffenfabrik Walther. Zella-Mehlis(Thur) Walthers Patent Cal. 7.65 m/m Mod PPK. Eagle over N, twice. #SN 270731k.

Behind the trigger it has an emblem that looks like an eagle with two letter underneath it which we cant really make out. It is also by the hammer.
    The holster has an eagle with a swastika WaA100 and Walther PPK inside.
    I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me a little something about it and what the value might be. Thank you

Attached Files:

• PPk2.jpg
      PPk2.jpg
      File size:
      76.6 KB
      Views:
    • PPK.jpg
      PPK.jpg
      File size:
      261.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yes, it is a PPK, made in 1940 and that is about all I can tell from those poor quality pictures. Please start over in a new thread and try for better pics.

Jim
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It is very important to show us the left side of the pistol with all markings clearly pictured. For sharper closeups, set your camera on "macro."
  8. John59

John59 New Member

Thank you i took some new pics i tried to do it the best i could. Im going to try and make a new thread now
  9. John59

John59 New Member

Here are some more pics, in the third pic it looks like an eagle with 3 numbers on the bottom i can just make out the last 2 numbers which look like 59

Attached Files:

• ppk6.jpg
      ppk6.jpg
      File size:
      156.6 KB
      Views:
    • ppk4.jpg
      ppk4.jpg
      File size:
      193.9 KB
      Views:
    • ppk8.jpg
      ppk8.jpg
      File size:
      239.2 KB
      Views:
    • ppk7.jpg
      ppk7.jpg
      File size:
      180.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  10. Danny

Danny Member

The letters & numbers, WaA 359 is the army acceptance stamp for Walther. This makes the weapon a higher grade collector & thus, more expensive. Also the stamped holster, puts it into a Nazi grade rig.
    My guess on this rig would be 1800 to 2000 dollars. Maybe more to the right person. Hope this helps you some?
    Kindest Regards
    Danny:)
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Just a FWIW. Those HWaA numbers are not really an "acceptance stamp" for a company. They are the number assigned to the Waffenamt officer who was head of the Army inspection team at that plant. The stamps used were issued to him, and he was personally responsible for their care and use. The identities of the officers were classified and with, I think, one or two exceptions, the actual name of the officer is not known.

The actual "acceptance stamp"/property mark is the eagle/swastika without a number, usually smaller than the WaA eagle with the number.

Obviously, one man did not stamp those parts and guns himself; he was head of a group of Army personnel who supervised the contractor; in most cases, the actual marking was put on by contractor employees after the part passed inspection. Sometimes, the WaA numbers can be very useful to collectors. If an inspector was reassigned, he took his stamps with him; his replacement brought his own. So we can sometimes see when inspectors changed as parts approved by "123" were used up and new parts marked "456" begin to appear. We can also determine "parts" guns. If "359" was at Walther, a P.38 made at Mauser would not have a "359" part. Some collectors simply ignore those numbers or assume there was some vast parts pool or massive interchange program. But the numbers can tell a story to collectors.

Jim
  12. Danny

Danny Member

Wrong answer Jim. Each company used their own number in the acceptance. I really thought you would know better than using this rebuttal. Lets take all the holsters made during the war. Each was made by a different company. This one being Walther or Mauser.
    A proof mark is what you are discussing here, not me.
    Danny
    PS: About everything used during the war had an acceptance stamp.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I did make one error, in that the eagle/swastika was the proof mark as well as the acceptance stamp. No, each company did not use its own number. The WaA assigned those numbers to its own inspectors, not to companies.

I am not sure what you mean by "each [holster] was made by a different company". Holsters, as in the US, were contracted for separately from the guns, to companies specializing in leather ware, and were delivered to the field units through different channels.

Jim
  14. SSMN

SSMN Member

JimK,
    Danny is sort of right this time. The military acceptance stamp or Waffenamt inspection stamps were placed on pistols or parts to indicate official acceptance for use by the Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine or Waffen SS. This number identified the inspecting office by number and indicated that a pistol had passed required tests and that all of the parts had been inspected.The designs of stamps encountered on Walthers were an eagle over the number 359 or an eagle over the number WaA359. The inspectors were not responsible to the factory to which they were assigned. They learned their trade at a special school located in Spandau (Berlin).

So you see, the acceptance stamp number and symbol indicated an inspection office, not a company, but also not an individual inspection officer. Obviously each inspection office would have many inspectors all doing their job and then applying the inspection office symbol/number. It is not a great stretch to come to believe that the eagle over WaA359 was assigned to the Walther factory since that is where the inspection office utilizing that symbol/digit was assigned. There are other cases where an inspection office did their job and applied their acceptance stamp at more than one factory such as eagle over WaAd20 (Spanish Astra, French Unique and French Mab).

You could call this one a draw.
  15. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

So what year was it manufactured? 1940 per Jim K or 1942 per Danny?
    ANSWER: Neither. It was manufactured in 1943.