Walther mod. 9

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kx1a, Aug 3, 2010.

1. kx1a

kx1a Member

Recently picked up this little pistol. First one I have ever seen and can't seem to find much info on it. It appears to be of early issue and I'm guessing it was made in the mid-twenties. serial # 444718. Hoster seems to be mated to the pistol and am wondering if Walther provided these with the gun. Any info and a value would be appreciated.
    Bill W

Attached Files:

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

walther made about 200,000 of these they started production in 1921 and went until 1939 or 40 . not sure about the holster but there are a few walther experts here that can help you out
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

as for value i recently saw one sell for 550 in about the same condition, not sure if that was a high price or a low price, and it didn't have a holster.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The price quoted above is about average for a Model 9 in fair condition, and the nickel finish helped boost the value a little. I'm not aware that Walther supplied the little holsters, but mini holsters are hard to come by and much in demand.
  5. kx1a

kx1a Member

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.
    BTW I found another Model 9 on the net that was of newer production, i.e., it had the disks on the grips other than the medalions. I'm guessing it was late 20's and suprisingly enough it showed the exact same holster. Probably not an accessory but certainly contemporary to the gun.
    73, Bill W
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If you decide to remove those grips, note that the right grip requires a special tool. I know of no source, but they are not hard to make, or a jeweler's watch back tool can be modified. I wouldn't try with some improvised tool as there is a good chance of messing up the grips or the gun itself. Once the right medallon is unscrewed and that grip removed (and the magazine removed), an ordinary screwdriver can be used to unscrew the left grip screw from the inside.

Jim