Walther Mod 9

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by burtondj, Apr 6, 2011.

1. burtondj

burtondj New Member

References:
    Hogg, Ian. GERMAN HANDGUNS: THE COMPLETE BOOK OF THE PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS OF GERMANY, 1869 TO THE PRESENT. Stackpole Books. Mechanicsburg, Pa. 2001.
    Walter, John. THE GREENHILL DICTIONARY OF GUNS AND GUN MAKERS. Stackpole. Mechanicsburg, Pa. 2001.
    This is where I got the info. I'm just trying to find out info on my father's pistol. I'm not going to ever sell it.
  2. Danny

Danny Member

An interesting fact. Adolf's niece killed herself, with a 25cal model 9, after he raped & drove the young girl, crazy.
    Eva Braun was given the model nine to use on herself in the bunker, but decided to go with the capsule instead.
    Danny
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The pics would be much clearer if you put your camera on the "macro" setting.
  4. emount

emount New Member

Gentlemen,

I realize that I am a late comer to this discussion but if anyone is still interested I can offer some information about the Model 9 Walther in question.

Model 9a, Serial number 624152 was manufactured in the late 1920's, perhaps 1928. It is a Type II variation with the external screw and washer grip retention, and the Type II internal details. At around serial number 6051xx the location of the serial numbers on all Model 9's moved from the right rear of the frame to the left side behind the trigger.

The crown over N proofs are correct. Model 9 production was almost completely ended by 1940. Eagle over N proofs are extremely rare on Model 9's.

The grip retention screws and disks are original but the wooden grips are surly replacements. The bottom front of the frame at the magazine well has been filed open to allow the use of a non-Walther magazine. The magazine is for a Browning Baby or similar 6.35 pistol with a protruding floor plate. Walther Model 9 magazines are flush on the front (making them hard to remove). The grips and frame alteration was almost certainly done here in the USA after the pistol was brought back from Europe. The "FP" Logo in the grip could stand for anything, but it probably has nothing to do with the German origins of the pistol. High quality replacement grips are available which would help bring the pistol back to a more original appearance. The original grips were black plastic checkered panels with the WALTHER logo along the bottom of each side.

The snap closure pouch or holster could have come from Germany with the pistol. It would be interesting to know if there are any markings on the holster.

It is a pretty cool little pistol. I hope that this (belated) information is helpful.
    Earl
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Special order Grip panels can be of Ivory, Pearl or Wood. I have seen several examples of wood grips identical to those shown, They all had the Walther logo, also as shown, that is why I believe they are original. Could be wrong, been wrong before and I know I will be wrong again:).
  6. emount

emount New Member

Ron,

You are correct that special order wood grips were available from Walther. I do not believe that the grips on the "FP" pistol are WALTHER wood grips. I may too may be wrong, but I have looked at a lot of Walther Model 9 pistols over the years and I think that the Walther wood grips were checkered. (See attached picture).

The frame alteration for use of a non-Walther magazine tells me that the "FP" pistol was worked on, probably in America. In Germany a person could order replacement magazines and grips directly from Walther. And Walther had an active Civilian Market presence up through the end of the war. So I am guessing that the grips and magazine on the "FP" pistol are post war.

The wood grips on the engraved pistol in the picture are milled on the inside just like the inside of Walther Ivory grips. I believe that these checkered wood grips are proper WALTHER wood grips. If we could get good pictures of the inside of the "FP" grips then perhaps my opinion would change. Walther may have offered two types of wood grips. I am always learning...

Earl

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not a Walther collector nor student of Walther firearms. I've owned several Walther's of varies models but that's all . So before I step into something that is out of my area of expertise I will withdraw:D Your knowledge on Walther's is well appreciated.:) Welcome to the forum. That is one very boo-tee-full firearm .
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The grips on the engraved gun may be original, but the engraving is not factory, I don't believe.
  9. emount

emount New Member

Bill,
    last weekend the engraved Model 9 with wooden grips was on display at the Denver Gun show. This year the show was also the NRA collectors show. It was viewed by hundreds of individuals, many of whom are established Walther experts. All agree that it is a fine example of a WALTHER factory fully engraved Model 9.

WALTHER had a number of expert engravers on staff, plus they contracted out with different master engravers throughout the Zella-Mehlis / Shul region. There is a lot of variation from one factory engraved Walther to another. Here are some pictures of other factory engraved Walther 9's. All different.
    Earl

Attached Files:

10. Jboy

Jboy Member

Are you the Earl from Earl's Repair Service? If so then we have a true expert here.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

cool thread
  12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I think I have been called to task on this before-and I was wrong.
    I expect to see only Germanic-style engraving on Walthers, but in fact they did offer other styles.
  13. emount

emount New Member

Jboy,

No, I am not the Earl from Earl's repair service. I can only claim a fair knowledge of pre-1945 Walther pistols in general, but I am a serious student of the Walther Model 9 vest pocket pistol. I really enjoy these little pistols and regularly scour the internet for new pictures and information to add to my Model 9 data base. That is how I ended up posting on this site. I am always learning. And I love to share the information that I have abut Model 9's.
    I did not intend to hi-jack burtondj's original thread. If there is any interest I would be pleased to share some more pictures and information about Model 9's on a new thread.
    Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Earl
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

emount welcome to the forum and thanks for all the information everyone is here to help and you certainly did i never saw a model 9
  15. mcrider

mcrider New Member

If this serial number was made in the '20s, I have a Model 9 with the serial number 525075 before that. Does anyone have an idea of the year it was manufactured?

I found this gun in the bottom of a cedar chest while cleaning out my dad's house. He was a supply sergeant in WWII.
  16. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

emount, thanks for additional information , it is always welcome, You know I didn't even notice the magazine and the mod to the grip. The Model 9 is a very nice firearm. One of the officers I used to work with carried one in a handcuff case as a " hell, I'm already dead, why not take him with me " back up gun ( actually it was a back up-back up ). The agency I worked for ( only two years ) didn't allow small autos as back up, but what the hey , I even carried a small Colt 1908 as additional insurance, as a old timer told me, it was better taking a suspension for breaking the rules than retiring because of death.:)