Walther Model PP 7.65

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nfelevator, Oct 14, 2007.

1. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

I want to know the approximate value of a Walther Model PP 7.65 auto.
    Serial 355648P

Markings on the left side:
    WALTHER Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thur)
    Walther's Patent Cal 7.65 m/m Mod PP

Directly below the clip eject button is a stamp of an Eagle and the letter F, and the lower part of the eagle is a little circle with a swastika inside. On the right side of the gun, there is a little eagle stamp on the exposed part of the bolt (where rounds are ejected from) and the same little eagle stamp directly below it on the frame. The bluing is excellent and the grips are wood and sort of a pecan color or medium oak color with Walther on both sides of the grips.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your PP is a very late war pistol, as is evidenced by the serial number and the wood grips. Material shortages made the Germans resort to wood instead of plastic near the end of the war. The Eagle/F is a police acceptance mark and this does increase the value. Condition is very important here. In absolutely mint condition the pistol could be worth $$1200 or so. However if there is blue wear, pitting, rust, or refinishing, the value could drop down to as little as half that. A photograph would help to pin down the value a little better.
  3. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

Thanks alot, I'll try to get a picture up in a day or so. I think it would be called "excellent" condition. It has a leather holster that has a broken strap. The spare magazine is gone too. I've been looking for another magazine for it online. Do you think the original magazine had what they call the "finger rest" at the bottom? The mag in the gun has a flat bottom.
  4. wonderwhippet

It would be nice if you could come up with a finger rest mag, but those can be pretty expensive, about $150 and up. Otherwise, another flat bottom mag would be acceptable, and these are easier to get and cost much less. Actually, these usually came with one of each type of magazine. The broken strap on the holster can be repaired, and if you want to do it I'll give you the name of an expert who charges very reasonable prices.
  5. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

6. wonderwhippet

Yes, it is in truly excellent condition and should bring at least $1200, possibly more. However, it is possible that the holster is not correct for your pistol. I need to see a photo of the back to see how that strap is attached. Also, does the holster have any markings anywhere?
  7. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

Wonderwhippet, The short little strap you see that looks like it is broken, actually isn't broken. the stitches are just broken and it attaches right about where it is in the picture. It is a short little strap that holds the flap closed. You can see the stiches on the holster body that are broken. the strap just needs to be re-stitched to the holster. Inside the flap are the words "Walther PP" That is all the marking I can find on the holster. Thanks for your interest and help.
  8. wonderwhippet

Yes, it is a simple repair, but it has to be done by an expert. He will use the proper thread and stitches and see that everything matches up. My concern about the holster is this: WWII PP holsters did not have attached straps. If the straps are permanently attached to the holster it is probably a postwar commercial type, and is wrong for your pistol. That's why I wanted to see how the strap is attached to the pistol.
  9. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you about the strap you were wondering about. The long thin ((1/2") wide strap is just a separate strap that is not fastened to the holster permanently. It must be some type of shoulder strap, and it is just looped through the belt loop of the holster. It can be taken completly off the holster. And also I discovered under the flap were the stamped letters DRGM and some sort of insignia below the letters that look like two rifles or shotguns crossed like an X over what might be some type of bird.
    I read up on DRGM and it stands for:DRGM means Deutsches Reichs Gebrauchmeister, a form of patent
  10. wonderwhippet

Great! You have an authentic original WWII holster which is correct for your pistol. I would advise you to get rid of the strap, as it doesn't belong there. Judging from the condition of the holster it should increase the value of the outfit by $200. I highly advise you to have it repaired by sending it to Jerry Burney, e-mail: lugerholsterrepair@yahoo.com

He does marvelous work at reasonable prices.
  11. nfelevator

nfelevator New Member

Thanks alot for all your help...I appreciate the info about the guy that does repair. I inherited this gun along with a P08 and a P38, both with holsters, and both with swastikas and other marks on the guns. Also some daggers or knives with nazi emblems and decor on the belt buckles etc. A silk armband with swastika and the soldiers name on it in ink..hand written. Kinda fun when you think about it. All this from a long time ago. Also some 9 mm ammo from that era, in little boxes. My wifes grandfather flew for the RAF, and fought in both wars...i guess he collected some stuff.
  12. wonderwhippet

Just one last afterthought. Your pistol is such a late war manufacture that I am certain it came with two flat bottom magazines, so a finger rest type would not be correct. Let me know if you want to get a spare and I'll give you some people to contact. I would need to know the exact markings on the mag you have. My e-mail address: neveragain18@global.net