Walther P.38 ac 41 value, please.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vlad0002, Nov 6, 2009.

1. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Hi all,

I have recently came across a nice Walther P.38. It's a second modification of ac 41, the last year of polished finish production. The gun is very nice, high polish, finish is about 90%+, very tight, all matching, including one magazine, that has the same serial as the gun: 92Xf. One thing, though: the extractor looks original, but is situated at an angle -- please see pictures. Just looks strange. Is that a normal thing with these? I tried to raise it to be straight, but then the little hook clears the circle, so it woulf not grab the rim of the shot to extract it. So, I guess, it does have to be at an angle. Is that a defect? Other then that -- everything is perfect, clearly marked, bore is mint.

They want ~$1100 for the gun. Would you guys help me to determine if that's a good deal?

Thanks.

Vlad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

The extractor pics:

Attached Files:

3. Danny

Danny Member

Hello Vlad,
    I think I know U & have spoke on the phone about a Walther PP you bought from Cabellas.
    Anyway the extractor is correct. There is a small spring behind it to pull the spent round. AC 41's are getting scarce & with a matching mag, I would buy it fast before it is gone.
    Hope this helps ya some?
    Regards
    Danny:)
  4. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thanks for the advise, Danny. It was not me, although PP (or PPK) is on my list. Cabelas have great deals from time to time, especially with their $20 off $100 coupons. The gun is on hold for now, pending the extractor "issue" resolution. If that is correct, as you say -- it's going on layaway...

Thanks again.

Vlad
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Danny's right, as usual. It will be a long time before you run across another ac41 with a matching mag. The price is extremely reasonable.
  6. tyc

tyc New Member

What would a similar P38, a 41 / AC be worth?

I ask this as the one I've come across has matching serial numbers on all the parts; #27XXA

It appears to be in much better condition that the one shown above and comes with what I believe is an original holster; leather, extra 9mm clip. The holster has a brass stud/button, while the flap to hold it closed simply has a hole (to fit snug over the top of the brass stud) and a slit in it.

Thanks

tyc
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I won't get into the value, but the extractor is NOT correct; its sides should be even with the frame. It looks like the extractor plunger is not right (may be home made) and the extractor itself is not correct; it also appears to be home or gunsmith made.

I would definitely want to correct that problem even if the gun works OK, since it reduces the value of the gun.

Jim
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thanks, Jim, for the advise.

How would one go about correcting something like this, though? Is it just a matter of getting the part (what's the best place for that?) and poping it in, or does it require skillfull gunsmith fitting one for it? Also, how important is it, value-wise, to get the correct period part?
    Thanks.

Vlad
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The matching mag does help value, especially if the pistol is in minty condition. With all the wear on this one, I feel it is priced about $200 too high. I base this on my owning about 80 P38s which I have been collecting for many, many years.
  10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I was thinking mabbe 400 too high myself, this is not a real high quality item as far as p38's go. Too much wrong here for it to be an $1100 item. I believe this is another example of a seller wanting premium for an item based on non informed customers.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Here are pics of a P.38 ac 41 extractor. Note the short slot behind the extractor; later guns had a longer one.

Jim

Attached Files: