1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Walther P 99

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bill, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill New Member

Looking at almost new Walther P 99 40 cal with high vis sights ($489). However I don't have any experience owning a Walther. Any comments good or bad would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Bill
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Bill,

We have one. It’s the German model, not the S&W one. Have not shot it all that much, but when we have, it has not had ANY problems. With no exposed hammer, it is good for concealed carry, doesn’t get hooked on anything.

I REALLY like the position of the mag. release. Takes some time off reloads, if that matters to you. The interchangeable backstraps was one of the selling points for us. I can use the large one, and the small one fits her perfect.

If you get it, let us know what YOU think of it.

P.S. We paid quite a bit more for ours.
    Since yours is in almost new condition, that sounds like a fair price.
  3. stetson

stetson New Member

I have sw99 which is the same pistol.They are a reliable pistol with a great
    trigger!I like it better than my glock so you can see I think it a well made piece.I suggest you go over to handgun forum com and see what actual
    owners say.I think they will mimic what I just said about my sw99.Good luck!
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Their great not a bad price either Plus for about $300 more you can get the surpressor
  5. Bill

Bill New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out handgunforum.com as suggested. I sure liked the high vis sights and the feel of the gun in the hand. Also didn't know that S&W and Walther models were of the same design.
    Thanks for the help. If I get it I'll let you know.
    Bill
  6. punchie

punchie Member

Same design, not all the same parts and definetly NOT the same quality of worksmanship as the 100% German made Walther. IMHO
  7. Bill

Bill New Member

Punchie...So if it's labeled a Walther does that guarantee 100% German made? I'm unclear of the relationship between S&W and Walther.
    Thanks, Bill
  8. punchie

punchie Member

S&W and Walther have a manufacturing and marketing agreement for the North American market. As far as the P99/SW99 goes Walther has always produced the polymer frame and all of them are maked 'Walther made in Germany'. The primary difference between the two is the contour of the slide and where the other parts were made and assembled. The early Walther P99 (prior to their M&M agreement with S&W) were made and assembled in Germany and have much higher quality control on the parts, fit and finish than the "American" Walthers. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that S&W is bad , just that Walther (in Germany) has a higher standard. If you get the chance to compare side by side between the American made PPK/s and the German or Manhurrin made PPK/s you will see where the differnce is even more apparent.
  9. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Great gun.
    I have an original Deutsch made, date code KK.
    One of the first off the assembly line.
  10. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

I have the Walther P99 in .40, and have had absolutely no malfunctions with it. I carry it regularly. The only gripe I have is that it irritates the tip of my trigger finger after about 50 or so rounds. I believe it is the tips of the magazine release that are doing the damage. I notice the newer models have the levers lengthened so that they extend farther forward. This was probably to address the problem I described. Anyway, I highly recommend it.