Walther P1 9mm Auto

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Deacon_Man, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I have a strong itch to go buy me a Walther P1. Have any of you done any bussiness with AIMSurplus ? They have used but in great shape Walther P1's for $319.99 . In your opinion is this a good shooter? Would you buy one ? I sure do like the looks of this pistol.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've dealt with them in the past. Bought guns and ammo both. Prices were fair, products were in good or better shape than advertised.

I have a P1, and it is a fine gun. I think you'd do better, though, with Wideners, in this case.

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000236&dir=700|1012|1027

It costs ten bucks more, but it comes with two magazines and Aim only has one. That's worth the ten bucks, right there. But then there's the matter of the pin.

The original P38 had a steel frame. Took the pounding fine. Post-war P1s, however, have an aluminum frame. Pounding started to cause problems. The solution was the installation of a steel recoil block, commonly referred to as "the pin".

Notice this Widener's says it has the pin, and the pic has an arrow pointing to the pin.

Then we have these, with no pin. See the arrow showing there is no pin?
    http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000239&dir=700|1012|1027

That is more for people that are looking to fill out their collection. They have them with the pin and without the pin and with slide serrations both in front and behind the safety, and with the serrations just behind the safety. All different variations that collectors might want. But they tell you EXACTLY WHICH ONE you are getting.

Aim don't. The gun in the picture has the pin. That is no guarantee that the gun you get will have the pin. Maybe all their guns are pinned. Maybe it's a mixed batch and they don't differentiate. You won't know until your gun gets here.

So, like I said, in this case, I'd go with Widener's.
  3. jmace57

jmace57 Member

I have done business with both AIM and Widener's as well, and had good experiences with both. Condition of firearms better than stated.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I noticed, yesterday, while reading the Aim ad, it says "May or may not have pin". So I stand by my suggestion of Wideners.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Walther P1 is an excellent 9mm gun. But as stated above if you intend to shoot it at all then it must have the pin (actually a hexagonal rod or pin just above the trigger).

Most P1's were police or military guns carried for years and updated along the way. The guns normally do not have matching numbers and have different slides from different time periods. The one's I have seen were factory refinished too and show little wear. Each update is stamped on the frame or slide. These guns with the updates are as good as it gets. For a shooter I too would NOT buy the gun without the hex pin or any of the other mods.

The way to assure you get what you want is to pay for "hand select" and order by phone, insisting that the gun has all the updates. I have dealt with AIM before and they do not exaggerate the condition, normally.

Mine is from an import batch a couple of years ago. All the one's I have seen from that batch were updated version. I know nothing of this batch and it may be part of the same batch as mine (??). A conversation with AIM may get assurances from them. Get it in writing (via email??).

LDBennett
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Classic Arms has them for $299.95. I have dealt with them several times in the past and received great service.

http://classicarms.us/

I just called them and asked about the pin. They said to guarantee the hex pin you should pay their $10.00 hand pick fee which will also assure you the best condition of what they have.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012