walther p22 5-inch with threading?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Pivo, May 22, 2008.

1. Pivo

Pivo New Member

I have seen pictures of the p22 with the 3.4-inch barrel using silencers etc. but i haven't seen pictures or even heard whether the 5-inch barrel has the same ability to be threaded. I am planning on buying a p22 but i want to make sure the one i get can be silenced. I was thinking that the 5-inch would improve the accuracy, but if any of you have thoughts on 5-inch barrel vs. 3.4 i would love to hear it.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

It isn't a target pistol in any configuration, so I personally wouldn't worry about the extra barrel length too much.

If your hands are a little bigger, the Sig Mosquito may fit you better. I think they are still a bit more expensive, but their MSRP has dropped significantly this year. Anyway, it might be something to look into.
  3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

I have both barrels.

It's not the barrel on these that is threaded. There is a nut on the end that tightens to hold either barrel in place and the "threading" is an option piece to screw on the end to hold the barrel in place and has threads that LOOK like they are the end of the barrel. This is what you screw a "silensor" on to and yes it is used on either length barrel.
  4. Pivo

Pivo New Member

thanks Jack, exactly what i was looking for. Since you have both is there a noticeable difference between them, is there one that you use more than the other? or do you like having both?
  5. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

I bought mine 2nd hand but it seemed to all have come in one kit in a plastic case. Two barrels, several alternative height front sights, a little wrench for changing the barrel out, allen wrench or two, and a factory lazer sight that is really easy to put on or off from the accessory rail. Easy to zero that sight in too. It also comes with a knurled thread protector and an alternative bushing nut so there are no threads on the end if you want to use it that way.

I like having both barrels. The gun is really light and in a holster you barely know you are carrying it. With the shorter barrel I think it would fit in about any pocket and in any kind of coat you would wear in the woods I'd think you could hardly feel it. I barely notic it in mine.

I know it doesn't sound like much difference from one to the other but it just makes the gun feel different enough that with the long barrel it's more like carrying my Ruger MarkII and with the short barrel it's more like a compact pocket pistol. It's a lot lighter than the Ruger even with the long barrel.

The barrel difference is significant enough to affect the velocity of 22LR amunition and it will keep some of the cheaper amo that may be at the breaking point of being sub sonic down in the quiet zone for use more economicly with a suppressor. I think it's a cool option worth the money. I'm glad I got the "full meal deal" on mine. Not a target pistol but deffinately a strap it on and forget all day, got it when you need it, hiking, hunting, working in the yard or cutting wood, and just carry around all day just because you want to and you are a free gun owning American kind of gun.
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  6. Pivo

Pivo New Member

Great review. That has all the info i could ask for. Thanks for taking the time, that definitely narrows my search.
  7. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Glad to be of help.