Walther P22 or Ruger mkIII/

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by charagrin, Jul 27, 2007.

1. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

A friend of mine just got a brand new Ruger MKIII but doesnt like its toy like appearance. He has offered to trade it outright to me for my Walther P22.
    The Ruger is a 5 1/2 inch barrel with with iron sights and 1 clip. It is stainless steel with wood grips. It has less than 100 rounds through it. It also has a holster.
    My P22 has fired over 500 rounds through it and has 3 clips. It is the solid black model with 5 inch barrel, and no holster, just the case it came in.
    I really like the Ruger but want ot know if this is a fair trade. I paid $320 bucks for my P22 with 3 clips and 5 inch barrel.
    What does a Ruger mkIII go for? Is it an ok gun?-Char
  2. bullseyeguy2007

bullseyeguy2007 New Member

My dad has a P22 and I have a MKII (very similar gun to the MKIII). The p22 fits the hand as if it was molded to it. The MKII (non-22/45) doesn't fit the hand as well but you can change the grips on it. There are several people shooting tricked out MKII in a bullseye league that I am in. A lot of the options for the MKII will fit the MKIII. I would trade in a heart beat.
  3. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Eh, I have heard bad things about the markIII, but the ruger 22's are great shooters. I have a markII and I love it. I would not trade if for a p22. What I would do is trade the p22 for the mk3, then trade the mk3 for an mk2. Although I could be wrong along with all of the other guys I talked to that ran out and bought the mk3 and hated it :) your choice of course :p
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

>I've owned both MKII and MKIII Rugers. Liked 'em both. The MKIII has over 4,500 rounds through it (I log my rounds shot for each gun), and it has performed flawlessly. The MKII was purchased used, so I don't know exactly how many rounds has passed through that one before I let it go. I did change the grips to fit my hand better. (I let the MKII go in order to work a trade for a High Standard Supermatic, or it would still be in my herd.)

>Key thing: If YOU are satisified with the trade, it is a good trade.
  5. Tom

Tom Member

I don’t believe in trading or selling my guns, but what you do is up to you. I would keep the Walther and grab the MK II.

I have a MK II 678GC and a MK III 512. The differences between the MK II and MK III are only 4: The MK III has a safety lock. It is a screw, that when activated, locks the safety. It can be safely ignored.

The MK III also has a loaded chamber indicator. It is actually slightly useful, but IMO, not a big deal.

The MK III has a thumb operated mag release, instead of the MK IIs bottom mag release. Which you prefer is up to you. I like the thumb release, but it was too short, so I drilled and tapped the button and screwed on a 1911 mag release extension. Works great.

The other feature of the MK III is the magazine safety. I don’t care for this, so I replaced the hammer with a VQ MK II hammer and replaced the sear as a general thing. Trigger pull is now great, and no mag safety.
  6. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

TY for the posts. I still gonna think about it though. He offered to let me try it out later. so it hinges on that.-Char
  7. greener

greener New Member

Is the MKIII a bull barrel with adjustable sights or one with a tapered barrel and fixed sights? Normally, new MKIII's come with 2 magazines. Something sounds strange.

I have an MKIII Hunter and MKIII 22/45 as well as a P22 (3.4" barrel). The Rugers are hands down better pistols than the P22. They are more rugged and much more accurate. Unless the price difference is way out of balance, my first thought would be to make the trade in a heartbeat. However, if the MKIII is fixed sights, then I'd be leary because all my .22's are finicky about ammo and I need to adjust sights when I change from SV to HV ammo.

I have no problem with the loaded chamber indicator on the MKIII's or the magazine safety. I like the mag release position. I've fired MKII's. They are great shooting pistols and I only fumble with the first mag remembering how to release it. IMO the MKII's and MKIII's are equivalent and are superior pistols compared to the P22.

I can't shoot my P22 nearly as well as I can MKII's and MKIII's. I don't believe the pistol is inherently as accurate as a Ruger. It does get good marks in the fun, light and small categories. I've got one of the problem P22's. It was back at S&W after 3 months and fewer than 1k rounds for excessive slide wear. I am not fixing the problems they didn't fix as well as the extractor. It is turning into a fun, project gun.