Walther P22 Question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Grifter, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Grifter

Grifter New Member

I'm new to these forums. Hello to all.

I was thinking about buying a Walther P22 for plinking, something I can afford to shoot all day at the range.

Is there any other .22LR semi-pistols in the P22 price range I should consider? Are there any benefits to getting the carbon fiber over the standard or nickel frames?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Grifter, Welcome to the forums.

I too am wondering about the P22...All I need it for is a light weight piece to put in my back pack to take hogs down that I have trapped...My .22 long rifle works real well, but it is just one more thing to tote around (besides it has a scope). More often than not the rifle rack space (on the ATV) is taken up with coolers, hogs, ect.

My only real concern is the rear sight...The one I've been looking at feels flimsey, it will even move a little if you tap on it, if these are replaceable using sights I am more accustomed to I'd probabally buy it, it is light weight and cool looking and @ 281.00 out the door, a decent price, but because of the rear sight I'm leaning more and more towards a Browning Buckmark.

Crpdeth
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  3. Grifter

Grifter New Member

Everyone I've talked with or what I read on-line seems to indicate its a fun shooter.

How durable is the P22? Any major problems with them?
  4. cec

cec New Member

I have had a Walther P22 for a few months now and have had no major problems with it.

Very easy to clean and can be stripped with a couple of hex wrenches.

I had a short learning curve with the first few rounds. While my Sig Trailside was very forgiving with the grip, the Walther wants to be gripped in a certain way or it will stove pipe. This may also be result of the gun still being broken in (less that 1000 rounds through it). Once I adjusted my grip, I haven't had this problem at all.

I don't think you will be disappointed with gun for plinking.
  5. Crpdeth

Thanks Cec, and welcome to the forums...

Concerning my only reservation, the rear sight, does it seem strong to you? do you think I could toss it in a back pack and not worry about it getting banged around?

Also, do you remember what brand ammo you were using while having the stovepipes?

Thanks Man.

Crpdeth
  6. cec

cec New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.

As to the rear sight, it seems pretty solid. While I haven't carried it in anything but a range bag, the sight hasn't moved yet. When I put medium to heavy finger pressure on it, there was no movement either.

The ammo I was using Federal Lightning, not very expensive but I was just plinking, no need to go bankrupt :D . After the first 50 rounds, I figured out the grip and have had no problems with it.
  7. Crpdeth

Your welcome...

Good to hear, maybe I'm being picky as usual, I guess the movement I mentioned was more of a "felt movement" when you tap on it...If that makes any sense. :p I also remember wondering if the sight was plastic or metal, do you know? I hated to pull out a coin and start tapping too. :D

Okay, thanks for an update on the ammo...My dealer/friend told me that they really like velocitors which happen to be one of my favorite .22 rounds anyway.

Crpdeth
  8. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

No.... the rear sights suck. Look up my old posts. I am a HUGE fan of this little plinker. I have now lost count of how many rounds I have through mine. ( at least 500 rounds 3 times per week for the last year or more ) I would recommend one to all. I have never owned a more fun toy.

--Beagle
  9. SGT.ian

SGT.ian New Member

Great gun. Looks good, feels good, works good. Mine loves CCI stingers. I can blow through a 10 round mag in 2 seconds. In 900 rounds I've had no misfires, and most of that was a brick of winchester Xpert I got at wal-mart. But it's not a target gun, even with the 5" barrel(I have the 3.4, 2 tone) and if you have bigger hands than say the average 5'9" guy, the grip won't feel right. Don't pay more than $325 for one and don't buy a used one, because you might get an earlier model with problems
  10. Crpdeth

Thanks Guys

Rgl, good to hear that it's not my imigination on the rear sight...Have you found a replacement? Or just dealing with it?

SGT, my guy is getting 281.00 out the door, I'm sure that a bit of a discount because I am a loyal customer, but still sounds like an awsome deal.

Crpdeth
  11. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

As for a replacement, just get you local smith to rig one up for ya. I just slapped some superglue on it. This little thing has seen a lot of rounds. It was cheap, and so was the ammo. Most smiths should be able to mount a different rear sight rather easily.

--Beagle
  12. modelo

modelo New Member

Bought the 5" model new last fall, and recently traded it after I found by experience how much more accurate is my newer Ruger Mark III. That is NOT to say the Walther ain't a fun little gun, but you'll never have the accuracy you'll get w/ a heavier .22. The P22 is incredibly light, and my 5 foot tall small-handed 21 yo daughter especially appreciated it, and no doubt it wd be a fantastic gun for any younger shooter. I bought it hoping it wd be a good trainer for centerfire shooting because the frame is basically .45 style, but I can't say it was good for that. The grip, even using the addition that expands it, is REALLY small. Also, I like action shooting from a draw, and it has to be cocked after the draw unlike the single-action Ruger, wh only needs the safety flipped. Plus, the lightness overall makes it hard to keep on target when firing off quick shots. It does require about 500-750 rds of break-in, during which you may a few FTFs. I was told the firing pin is a bit sticky at first. Mine liked Federal ammo over Remington, always purchased at WM in the 550 rd box.
    Having said all that...is it fun? Absolutely! And easy to take down and clean. One guy at the range where I shoot said that he hasn't cleaned his in 2500 rounds, yet w/o any malfunction. (Not sure what I think about that as far as maintenance philosophy, but it sure says a lot about how well it's made.) If you handle one and like the feel, and if it otherwise meets your anticipated needs, I'd say go for it. And for what it's worth, I've heard from two separate sources that Israeli Mossad uses it as their covert gun--no doubt w/ a silencer and at very close range.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Israel for years,has used the Beretta M-70S as their issue tool for clandestine diplomacy; If the P-22 has displaced that pistol, in their use, It's one fine weapon, indeed!
    Been 'off the court' for a while, and please note, I said "if", not "that" about the replacement, but the fact remains, Mossad is the most cost effective, and, the most effective, period, clandestine "diplomatic" agency on the earth, today.
    That being said, how much research does one need to do, given the premise that They have made the switch, to arrive at the same conclusions?
  14. z537z

z537z New Member

It's way too small for me, but people seem to like it.
    There are other guns for the same price range, but this one seems to be the most reliable, and you can find parts for it a lot easier than an old Beretta M70.

_z
  15. modelo

modelo New Member

Terry:
    I don't know if I could duplicate the net search I did on the Mossad issue last fall. It was inspired by a man I met at a local gun show who was standing next to me as I was admiring a P22. He said he'd been to Isreal and was allegedly told that by an authoritative military source. I did then find something by a google search that confirmed that.
    None of this is very convincing, I know, which is why I added the Mossad thing by the qualifier "for what it's worth"...because it may be worth nothing.
    Does sound like you and I may share an admiration for Israel and their military.

--Mike